We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

Denver, CO
1 post
Save Topic
Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

My friends and I are 18-19, and we all want to go somewhere warm for spring break this year.

We also would prefer to go on an organized trip, and we are from Denver

We can only spend $350 at most per person.

Any Ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,619 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 45-Minute Helicopter...
528 Reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,111 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Grand Canyon and Sedona Deluxe...
625 Reviews
from US$179.29*
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,817 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

Tucson or Phoenix would work for warmth.

If you drove down and smartly booked a cheap hotel, you should be able to make this happen with either city. What do you want to do on Spring Break? If you want pool time, you'll need an indoor and/or heated pool, because it'll be too early for an outdoor pool.

LA or San Diego would work too, but that's further and much more expensive. Las Vegas is also an option, but it's not much fun for under 21.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
San Diego
San Diego
California
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

Organized trips/tours will be much more expensive - you pay for someone else to do the legwork.

I agree that Tucson or Phoenix would work well for warmth, although depending on when your spring break is, it could be one of our busiest times, which drives up the hotel prices.

First, what week is it? Second, how many people are in your group? (In other words, what is your TOTAL budget, and how many rooms/beds will you need?)

I was going to suggest renting a home through VRBO.com, although most of those will probably not have heated pools, if you're looking for that as Colin suggested. You'd also have to be sure they would rent to a group your age; I believe some homeowners have minimum ages. But, you could look into it. Those houses are often cheaper for a large group than hotels, and you can cook/grill/etc. in your own kitchen to save money.

Also, consider looking on Ebay for a timeshare week with the Westin Kierland Villas, or even the JW Marriott Villas. Owners of these timeshares often sell their weeks if they don't use them. (Make sure you aren't bidding to buy the whole timeshare unit, just a one week vacation.) I have sometimes found that these are very inexpensive on Ebay - they are usually more expensive if you book directly through the timeshare property.

Other than that, yes, you can certainly look for a cheap hotel. Bidding on Priceline is usually a good way to get a deal, although you don't get to pick your exact hotel. Just do your research before committing to it, and pick your area wisely. Check out www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com for tips.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Kierland Villas
The Westin Kierland...
1,626 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,362 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

You've got a pretty tight budget. Is that per person for the whole week?

Check out Lake Havasu on the west edge of AZ. Rates are usually lower there than in big resorts cities like Phoenix or Tuscon. And the water attracts lots of young people for Spring Breaks.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
576 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

RR is correct. The kids all get out of town for Spring Town. Lake Havasu is a popular spot You'll run into the college crowd there or at Rocky Point in Mexico. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
576 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

Based on your screenname, lipgloss, I'm guessing you're female, in a group of females. If that's the case, please don't consider going to Rocky Point - it's not an entirely safe vacation spot for a group of 18 year old girls alone, IMHO, and if I were your parents, I wouldn't be pleased with that prospect either. People go in high school groups, yes, but they are usually chaperoned.

Personally, I'd stick with inexpensive lodging (if you can find it) in Phx/Tucson, or Lake Havasu as RR suggested.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
576 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

18-19 isn't high school. It's usually college aged people

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,362 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

RedRox canceled his vacation to Rocky Point Mexico this winter for many of the same reasons mentioned above. My DW MrsRedPony is well over 18-19 but we decided it's just not right to be crossing, or near, the Mexican Border this year. Otherwise, I'd be there right now.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

I didn't say 18-19 is high school. Reread my post. What I said is that high school groups (often seniors, and younger than 18 or 19) do go to Rocky Point, but they are often chaperoned in some manner - as they should be - and the group always includes lots of guys.

I don't want to get in an argument about this, but I do want to make a point here, especially to any young people considering going to Rocky Point. Aside from the obvious and very valid reasons that RR mentioned in post #7, I simply don't think that it's safe for a group of young girls to go to Rocky Point alone, especially if they are going without parents, and with no or few young men in the group. A group of young girls who may not yet be world travel savvy (no matter how savvy they may think they are - hey, we all know everything at 18, right!) is fairly easy prey in a place like Rocky Point. I've been there as a young woman, and I've seen it firsthand. It's just not the best place, especially now. Be safe, ladies.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 22:04
9. Re: Cheap Spring Break Ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 07:17