We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

I will be in the states in June for a wedding and would like to drive from Long Beach to Tucson,we will possibly do an over night in Palm Springs.

Where should i stop for overnight in AZ, what should i see?

we could do a round drive trip or one way and fly back to CA?

I really want to go to Tombstone but want to see as much as possible in AZ on a four to five day drive trip.

We are visiting The Grand Canyon from Vegas a bit earlier in the trip.

Any advise appreciated

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

Hi

You can drive in one day between Long Beach and Tucson. If you don't want to do that, Blythe app will be half way but Palm Springs will be a lot more enjoyable imo. I would not want to make another stop between Palm Springs and Tucson. There's so much to see in the Tucson area. You can visit Tombstone as a daytrip from Tucson. In Tucson don't miss Arizona Sonora desert museum. Sounds dull but it is not. It makes a fantastic visit. Combine with a visit to Saguaro NP. Saguaro NP west is very close to the Museum.

Fill your tank in Az, much cheaper than in Ca.

An excellent side trip in Az is Sedona www.visitsedona.com but you only have 4-5 days and 2 of them are driving days.

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

If you only have 4 or 5 days, and must spend some of them driving, don't stay overnight anywhere on the way to Tucson. Going to Tombstone will use one day though it can be combined with visits to Kartchner Caverns and Bisbee. Tombstone by itself is not worth the drive.

Other things to see are Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Mission San Xavier, Mount Lemmon, Saguaro National Park, Sabino Canyon. Also look at MikeP's blog for other suggestions:

http://www.mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

In the time which you have, a side trip to Sedona would not make sense as it is 4 hours driving each way, and can't be appreciated well in less than a full day.

Edited: 25 November 2011, 14:20
TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

Long Beach to Tucson can be driven in 8 hours on I-10. Long, but doable! As I have done many, many times before. Mohave desert is the worst BOOOORING!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

If you visit GC from Las Vegas maybe drive to Tucson after that and spend some time in Sedona on your way. I do think Tombstone makes a nice visit. Not many places like that and the "shoot" out at the OK Coral is better than in Glenrowan if you have ever been there ;)

California
Level Contributor
694 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

As much as I like Tucson, it's hotter than hell in June. I realize that you have to travel that time of year, but it'll be very, very hot. When exactly will you be arriving in the US? It might be more feasible to go to Tucson at the beginning of your trip instead of after the wedding.

6. Re: Long Beach CA to Tucson AZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:42