We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

I'm planning a trip to the grand canyon in May 2012 to celebrate our 10 yr wedding anniversary. I'm undecided on Sedona with day trip to grand canyon, or fly into Tucson for a several night stay at someplace like Miraval or Ritz dove mtn then drive to the grand canyon and stay in at inexpensive chain hotel, then depart from Flagstaff airport. 5-6hr drive from Tucson is a turn off...

any input is greatly appreciated

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Sedona is a truly romantic destination. Choose from top resorts like Enchantment or L'Auberge, or opt for a more intimate B&B.

For GCNP, you might be too late to book a room at El Tovar, but that would be the top place to spend a night or two at the GCNP.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

I would suggest going to Sedona, especially if you also want to include GCNP.

Both Miraval (which is not a normal resort but one oriented to health and spirituality) and Ritz Dove Mtn are not near anything. The scenery and ambiance of Sedona will greatly exceed both. I am also certain that you can find a romantic place to stay in Sedona.

You would want to fly into Phoenix, and depart from Phoenix.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Thank you both so much for the input.

You're right, el tovar is completely booked for the entire month of May! but we did get one night at kachina inn, which I hear has better views anyway.

I'm sifting through the resorts now. Some friends of ours stayed and l'auberge a few years ago and highly recommended it, but more recent reviews here seem inconsistent. Will keep looking.

thanks again!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Since this is an anniversary celebration, try to at least enjoy one meal at El Tovar during your Grand Canyon stay. Dinner is by reservation, guests at Kachina and other hotels can (and should!) make reservations up to 1 month out; definitely take advantage of that since May is a busy time and tables will fill up. For reservations call 1-928-638-2631 and ask for extension 6432 or El Tovar Dinner Reservations. Otherwise, ET serves breakfast and lunch, which is first-come first-served. If you decide on lunch, be sure to get there before 11:30 AM; that's when the Grand Canyon Railway arrives, dropping off hundreds of people who invariably head to the rimside restaurants for lunch - once that happens, you'll wait forever for a table. The Arizona Room, just off the Bright Angel Lodge complex, is another good lunch or dinner option. First come first serve only. Here's info on more dining options ->: http://youtu.be/C8Oius7wMPg Maswik Lodge's sports bar has since become a "pizza pub" but the rest of the information is valid

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Thanks K-bot. that youtube page has been very informative.

I have 2 (maybe) last questions:

- Just looking at a map, it looks like flagstaff is the best place to fly in, as its between sedona and GCNP. We're planning on starting the trip with one night in the park, then 3 nights in Sedona (can't be away much longer with a 2 and 3 y/o at home) Why is Pheonix the better place to fly in? I am really averse to 4+ hour drives. (Orlando is 1hr for me and Tampa, Miami, Jax are all 2-3 hrs from where I live so not used to such stretches of driving, plus its disheartening to think we'll be spending so much of our trip in car.)

- enchantment and l'auberge both look amazing and we will likely stay on property most of the time if we were to stay at either, but as far as location are either closer to/walking distance from the "town center." If not, which has the better location and are there any other options for similar properties that would be walking distance from town?

Again, thanks so much. Everyone on here is a wealth of info. If ever you head to the central Fl beaches, hope I can help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,049 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Any flight that goes to FLG requires changing planes in PHX. By the time you do that, you can rent your car in PHX and drive to Sedona or the GCNP.

That's why we always recommend PHX.

Exceptions to this are rare.

7. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:17