We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

I'm planning a trip to the grand canyon in May 2012 to celebrate our 10 yr wedding anniversary. I'm undecided on Sedona with day trip to grand canyon, or fly into Tucson for a several night stay at someplace like Miraval or Ritz dove mtn then drive to the grand canyon and stay in at inexpensive chain hotel, then depart from Flagstaff airport. 5-6hr drive from Tucson is a turn off...

any input is greatly appreciated

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Fly into Phoenix (not Tucson), and drive the 2 hours to Sedona. You can't get much better than Sedona for romance! Stay at one of the many B&Bs in Sedona - there are dozens of great ones; peruse the Sedona forum and TA reviews for more info. Then, depending on how many days you have, either do a day trip from Sedona to the GC, or stay one night there. The better option if you've never been to the GC is to spend at least one night inside the park, to see sunset and then sunrise. Then drive back down to Phx for your flight home.

For more info on Grand Canyon lodging, read the Top Questions on the right side of the GC forum page. Lots of info and tips there. Also, do make your GC reservations ASAP, as May is extremely popular, and they may already be close to fully booked.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Thank you! you did spur me to book at the grand canyon park. sure enough el tovar is already booked for the entire month! we were able to secure a night at Kachina inn in early may which according to the reservation agent has better views anyway!

As follow up RE sedona. We had some friends say at l'auberge a few years ago and highly recommended it but recent reviews here seem inconsistent. Does anyone have any input RE recent changes with management there and/or any additional sedona hotel recommendations?

thanks again!

also I hope administrators can combine my two forum entries; i'm not sure why it was entered twice??

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,029 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

Kachina is right next dor to El Tovar. Views from the lodge are a non issue. If you have a window it is not how you will be viewing the Grand Canyon. The important part is being able to walk out the door and be literally steps away from the rim. Dining next door at El Tovar is a treat too.

L'Auberge remains one of the top spa destination resorts in the heart of Sedona, on Oak Creek. They have recently completed a huge and costly renovation project. Most of the negative reviews were generated during the process. I would highly recommend it.

4. Re: Romantic Grand Canyon 10yr anniversary trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:18