We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Originally had the idea to fly into Phoenix and make our way up through Sedona and Flagstaff, see south rim of GC then over to Hoover Dam and fly home through Las Vegas.

We have all ages in our group from preschool up through not quite 21. Things we want to try to do include a jeep tour in Sedona, ride horses somewhere and eat at the Oak Creek brewery or something similar. Didn't know if we should try to spend some nights actually at the canyon. I understand the parks fill up quick and actually staying in the park may not be an option. We are not hiking people or mule riders.

The Hoover Dam and up to Las Vegas was an add on. We originally planned to follow route up to GC then come down to Tucson and do the desert museum and the aviation museum and fly home through Tucson. I guess I want some advice. We didn't actually plan to tour LV. I just wanted to stay there the night before our flight home. Figured the family would be awed by the sites, but not interested in gambling etc. That is something we do when we DON'T have the kids along.

Wonder what other family-ish things we might do or what cities I should consider that I haven't already mentioned.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

It will help if you tell us how long you have for this trip and what time of year you are coming.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Yes, do tell us more. And before you do, take a look at airfares and car rental costs including one way drop off fees. You might be much better off flying in and out of PHX, especially if LV is not a priority.

Sedona needs a few days.

www.visitsedona.com

…go.com/Travel/…

1-2 nights at the GCNP is plenty. You don't need to hike into the canyon and forget about riding a mule. But what you need is just time at the canyon. There are about 20 significant view points and historic sites inside the 30 miles of rim inside the park. Mind you this is only about 10% of the GC.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

If you have time, add a few nights at Page AZ. There you can enjoy more attractions including Glen Canyon Dam. This dam is equally as impressive as Hoover ad more accessible.

www.visitpageaz.com

Edited: 20 March 2012, 23:38
Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Oh yes I meant to add... we will be there late June into July for 6 nights.

Flight wise....cost is quite comparable with round trip versus one ways. I don't live near big airport so I have several to chose from and compare.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 00:17
Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Oh yes I meant to add... we will be there late June into July for 6 nights.

Flight wise....cost is quite comparable with round trip versus one ways. I don't live near big airport so I have several to chose from and compare.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 00:17
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

6 nights...no time to go to Tucson, plus it will be way too hot!!! I would also consider just flying roundtrip Phoenix without the Las Vegas portion. Here's a less is more plan that can be reversed depending on Grand Canyon lodging reservations.

Day 1 Arrive Phoenix. Spend this day at a resort in Scottsdale/Phoenix to play in the hot desert! Pick a place with a nice pool area.

Day 2 To Sedona

Day 3 Sedona

Day 4 Sedona

Day 5 To Grand Canyon mid day. Try to get lodging inside the park or in Tusayan just south of the park.

Day 6 Grand Canyon. Stay another night there or on to Flagstaff for the night.

Day 7 Back to Phoenix to depart.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Great plan CA. Far better than trying to all the other destinations in a short 6 days.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Is that too much time at Sedona.... got the impression from another forum that my younger kids would be bored there? I thought about staying in Flagstaff and driving down because not interested in the timeshare pressure. And, yes, I was worried about Tucson heat as well as Phoenix heat. And the GC... I understand the south rim is more tourist-ish and the north rim is quieter. What about west or east side? I checked Xanterra site, our days are all booked up already. I am not sure where else to look.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,765 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

I'm pretty sure I know who would have made in irresponsible statement about kids getting bored in Sedona. Disregard it.

The most consistent statement from travelers who visit Sedona for less than 3 nights is that they wish they had planned more time there. Read the trip reports and reviews. You don't need to ever speak to anyone about timesharing.

As for the Grand Canyon, the South Rim gets more visitors because they have more facilities to accommodate them, and more view points and activities and and things to see and do. The North Rim is far more remote, with fewer view points and just a single lodge. It is always booked to capacity, so crowding seems the same. If kids are going to get bored anywhere, the chances are greater at the NR. Still not likely IMO, but if you've never seen the Grand Canyon before, make that first visit to the GCNP South Rim.

Call Xanterra to ask about lodging. 888-297-2757. Cancellations happen but they get resold on the phone and never ake it back to the website. As a back up, book something in the town of Tusayan, just outside the park gate. There are several decent motels there. They just lack the location.

There is no east or west side of the GC.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

thank you RedRox. You guys are so quick with the responses. I am so happy for the feedback!

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: need help on Arizona travel - starting itinierary & flights

Arrival day... I realize it will be "early" in AZ however it will be much later on our Ohio body clocks. Do you have mild suggestions to entertain us that afternoon or evening. I had originally planned to travel right up to Sedona or Flagstaff, but I wonder if we should take a little more relaxed pace the first day.

Also... one reason we considered ending in LV for a day is the proximity of the airport for our departure day. Considering airport security I don't want to have to load up early early and drive hours to get back to phoenix for a flight. Any suggestions or ideas you have? Or what if we did continue on to the Hoover Dam on our last day. Where could we stay up there that is not LV but is still close to LV airport?