We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Virginia
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Hi- We're heading to Sedona and the Grand Canyon in October, and will be flying out of Phoenix. We're trying to find a quaint or artsy town to stay in somewhere between the Grand Canyon and Phoenix. (We are starting our trip in Sedona).

Our flight is at 11:30am, so anything that's within an hour or at the most, two, would be great! We love the red rocks, love quaint towns, etc.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Your number one choice will be Jerome. It has everything you say you want.

Virginia
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Thanks! We were actually planning on doing a day trip to Jerome from Sedona (as we did 6 years ago when we were there). We may still do that, so if so, are there any other towns of note that would be a good place for our last night? How about Prescott? What is it like?

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Prescott would be great, but that's still around 2 hrs from Sky Harbor. You could also drive through Prescott, explore it and then drive on down 89 to Wickenburg. That's 55 miles from PHX. It's an authentic western town, with many quaint and also artsy shops.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Prescott is often called the "most Midwestern-looking city" in Arizona. A courthouse square surrounded by historic bars and hotels, shops and some great architecture. Very nice town and worth visiting. You should try to see Jerome while on your drive to Prescott, since it's on the way.

I've always found Strawberry to be very quaint. The terrain is somewhat like Flagstaff (pine trees), but it's a VERY small town so there's not much to do. This would put you on a nice back road to Phoenix too. Then again, so would going through Prescott.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Jerome Prescott and Wickenburg are the top three for quaint and historic on the west side of I-17. Camp Verde, Strawberry, Pine and Payson would be options along the Mogollon Rim on the east side.

Sedona and Jerome are tops for artsy, at least until you get down to the valley. The eastern counterpart to Wickenburg would be Cave Creek and Carefree. Both of those towns are fun and quirky on the outskirts of Scottsdale, much closer to PHX Sky Harbor.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

I believe you'll find Sedona to be very artsy. It is, however, rather modern. Lots of galleries and shops. Specifically check out Tlaquepaque - http://www.tlaq.com/

You may also enjoy downtown Flagstaff which is historic and has a collection of art galleries scattered throughout. If you happen to be visiting early in the month, and able to be in town on a Friday evening, you'll find the area hopping with the First Friday Artwalk. It happens every first Friday of every month (regardless of weather) and is an enjoyable time to be out in the community.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about an hour or two out at most. You're going to Sedona (about an hour and a half from the airport) and the Grand Canyon (more like 4 hours from the airport), and your flight leaves at 11:30 a.m. from Phoenix. Confused, so if we're throwing you off track, please clarify.

Virginia
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Sorry about the confusion! We arrive at Phoenix late on a Sunday and will find a hotel somewhere near the airport to spend the night, heading to Sedona early Monday morning. We plan to stay 3 nights in Sedona (Monday-Thursday), and are then headed to the Grand Canyon for Thursday night. It's Friday night (our last) that we're looking for a town closer to Phoenix and the airport, since we have an 11:30 flight our on Saturday morning.

So, somewhere other than Sedona, where we will have already been. :)

Does that help? We were thinking maybe Prescott, since it's fairly close to Phoenix and we've never been there. It looks like there's a nice brewery there as well, which always makes my husband happy. :)

Thanks!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

As stated above (post #3; and I did understand your query the way you've now clarified ) - either Prescott or Wickenburg, which is even closer, also on 89.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

Prescott Brewing is a great place. One of my favorites in the state.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quaint/Artsy towns between Grand Canyon/Sedona and Phoenix?

And I'd like to clarify that there is a major difference (feel-wise) between Prescott and Prescott Valley. The former is quaint and historic, the latter is suburbia at about its least charming (with apologies to anyone who loves that sort of thing).