We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route 66

staines
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
route 66

I hope to do the route 66 trip from LA to Chicago by car.Has anyone got some information on places to stay on that route.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route 66

There are a number of web sites dedicated to this road with itineraries, comprehensive lists of sites, and ideas for lodging and food.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66/

http://www.historic66.com/

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2489

http://wikitravel.org/en/Route_66

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: route 66

Point is, most of this doesn't exist any more as such, it's been buried under the Interstates. There is a really great section of historic 'real' route 66 in Arizona though: you move into AZ on I-40 via Needles and go as far as Topock right at the river and the state border, where you turn off to the left (north) onto historic Route 66 (sign-posted) and drive to Oatman. This is an old mining town which was eventually abandoned when it ran out. What was also abandoned where the miners’ donkeys which now live as a feral herd right in the town, which has now become a major attraction with the original old buildings housing shops and restaurants.

From there you drive over Sitgreaves Pass to Kingman – which also has some R66 buildings, stay on historic Route 66. Stop at the Hackberry General Store, then at Peach Springs, and finally at Seligman where you get back on I-40 west. Ash Fork has an R66 museum. Flagstaff also has a section designated historic R66 as does Holbrook further east on I-40. – That’s it for Arizona. Apart from Topock-Seligman, it’s mostly modern interstate, with the town having reserved some of the old buildings and having turned them into R66 shrines, so to speak.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 13:59
staines
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route 66

Thanks for the info. Regards,Tony.

staines
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: route 66

Thanks,will check out the websites. Regards,Tony.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,903 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route 66

The sections of Route 66 that remain are primarily in the West from LA to Amarillo TX. There is so much more to see in our country. Esty's suggestions are good for a few days in the best parts of R66. Otherwise, you might get rather tired of finding segments of an old 2-lane asphalt highway, which is many areas is very close to the modern interstates. It is especially not wothwhile to try following R66 east of Texas as it is either the interstate or requires significant detours to find.

I like old highways, but have no enthusiasm for driving on them for days when there are far more siginificant things to see.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: route 66

Wow, colinaz, those are some great links! I'm bookmarking them, especially historic66.com

They made ME want to travel the Mother Road, and I can walk to a portion of it from my home in Flagstaff any time I want.

I think regardless of what is often said on these forums, the desire to experience this little slice of our history, particularly amongst Europeans, remains strong. I'm glad there are some resources to share with others that will help future travelers in their endeavors to partake of it.

Derby, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: route 66

Is it possible to do the 'modern' Route66 by Coach or train ,stopping at major towns/Cities along the way,starting in Chicago? Maybe giving ourselves a month to do it...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: route 66

We have done most of it. How long do you have. Some of the best parts are in Oklahoma.

James, maybe post a new topic on the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

R66 is a road trip not a train trip.

Derby, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: route 66

We were going to take about a month.Just wondered if its feasible to travel from place to place by coachl

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: route 66

@ james h: I looked on AMTRAK's route map and no routes replicate Route 66's route exactly. The Southwest Chief comes closest: it starts in Chicago IL and goes through St. Louis Missouri, but doesn't dip as far South as Joplin. In fact it skirts Oklahoma entirely and goes right through Kansas. Eventually it will swing back into New Mexico via Southeast Colorado, passing through Gallup, then in to Flagstaff AZ and on to LA. I have no idea if you'd be able to see any remnants of the old highway from the train; frankly I doubt it. And I wouldn't recommend using Greyhound to achieve this either. Long story short, sounds like the best way to experience Route 66 is in the spirit of the old highway - drive it oneself.