We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Time Visiting - Route Suggestions Please

Toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Second Time Visiting - Route Suggestions Please

Hi,

My girlfriend and I visited last year in June/July and it was our favourite trip yet. We wanted to come back this August and we are looking for suggestions of where to go and what to see. Below is our itinerary from last time. Our road trip consisted of Arizona and Utah, but we were thinking of adding Colorado this time around. Please feel free to let us know what we missed and what else we could see.

Day 1 - Fly into Phoenix, drive to Sedona, explore the city

Day 2 - Pink Jeep Tour (Broken Arrow/Scenic Rim), Oak Creek Canyon West Fork hike, Airport Mesa sunset

Day 3 - Climb Bell Rock, Red Rock Crossing, Chapel of the Holy Cross

Day 4 - Drive to Page, Wupatki Ruins on the way, Lower Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend

Day 5 - Half day Colorado River Discovery tour, Glen Canyon Dam tour

Day 6 - Drive to Monument Valley, Monument Valley Tour

Day 7 - Drive to Moab, Dead Horse State Park

Day 8 - Arches National Park, Fiery Furnace Tour

Day 9 - Canyonlands National Park

Day 10 - Drive to Bryce, Navajo/Queens Garden loop, Astronomy Festival

Day 11 - Drive to Zion, The Subway

Day 12 - The Narrows

Day 13 - Lower Emerald Pools Zion, Drive to Grand Canyon

Day 14 - South Kaibab Trail, Drive to Phoenix

Day 15 - Fly to San Diego, Explore

Day 16 - Segway Tour, Zoo

Day 17 - Rent car, visit beaches

Day 18 - Fly home

I may have missed 1 or 2 things, but that is the gist of what we did. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Time Visiting - Route Suggestions Please

I'd suggest Petrified Forest and Canyon de Chelly in the northeast quadrant of AZ.

And I'd have said there was always more, much more, to explore and revisit at the GC.

There's also Walnut canyon at the edge of Flagstaff, or, if you're interested, Meteor Crater a short distance east of Flagstaff off I-40.

Toronto
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Time Visiting - Route Suggestions Please

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into all the places mentioned.

Believe it or not, we really didn't like the Grand Canyon when we were there. I guess after seeing many other canyons on the trip, it just didn't impact us much.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
522 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Time Visiting - Route Suggestions Please

I was going to suggest to take South Kaibab trail to get the most of GC, but then noticed you did it.

May be that's a result of a long trip (in my vacation timeline :)) to see somewhat similar type of attractions? I never could dedicate more than a week (usually only 3-4 days) for South West, and while I realize I have to spend more on flight tickets and some places that I visit during different trips can be in relatively short driving distance, but there are some benefits too - those places look so much different from where I live, that every visit makes a great trip and I don't get a feeling, ok, I've just seen that already. Also weather can be a huge factor - add white clouds to the blue sky and the scenery is completely different, or just go in different season.

I just got back from 1 week trip Phoenix-Sedona-Flagstaff-GC-Page-MV-Sedona-Phoenix and if I'd have more time I'd drive 89-ALT between Kanab and south of Page, would visit North Rim, check Canyon de Chelly, would stop by GC again to hike South Kaibab and Rim trail (but when it's warmer at the top), spend more time in Sedona for more hiking (we only did Cathedral Rock). In Page I'd take a boat tour to Rainbow bridge.

During my other visit LV-Zion-Bryce-Zion-LV I didn't have time to explore Hwy12, so I'd check this one if I'd have more time and if it would fit the route.

In Zion we did Angel's Landing (and some other hikes you mentioned) and it was interesting, but I can't recommend it to everybody.

We're going to explore Salt Lake City - Arches - Canyonlands - Salt lake City on a separate trip, so I can't comment on that yet.

On my other trip we went to New Mexico - Albuquerque - Santa Fe, visited Bandelier, planned to go to Taos, but didn't make it because of bad weather - that could be another alternative, although Arizona/Utah seems to have a higher density of attractions.

4. Re: Second Time Visiting - Route Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:42