We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona Vortex's

1 post
Save Topic
Sedona Vortex's

What is the best one to park close to and have a short walk to it ? Thanks !!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,884 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona Vortex's

Vortexes are a myth.

Probably the easiest access site would be Bell Rock.

Mentioned in this post
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,974 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona Vortex's

Airport Mesa is also good. The parking lot to the hiking area is small, however. You see it on your left on Airport Road (off of 89A in West Sedona) before you get to the airport parking lot on the top. From there you can just go up the small hill on your left and look around or meditate. There is also a loop trail that gives you a good view of a lot of the Sedona area. Some parts of the trail are narrow and near the edge, but it is otherwise not difficult. But if you are into vortexes and energy, you don't have to do the trail to get a sense of it. Going to the area up the short path from the parking lot is enough. Mornings when less people are awake are less busy; the area is know for its fabulous sunsets, so there will be many more people in the evening. Regardless of when you go, however, you can still find a quiet spot to sit and be with the view and the land.

Bell Rock is also great. The trail in front of the rock that runs parallel to Route 179 is wide and flat and is a nice walk. If you park in the Courthouse Vista parking lot (the first one you come to if you are going toward the Village of Oak Creek from the Y), the walk to the base of the Bell Rock formation is shortest.

For Cathedral Rock, it's not as quick and easy as Airport Mesa or Bell Rock, but it's still not bad.

Also, some people think of the Chapel of the Holy Cross as a vortex area, although it's not one of the 4 most famous.

Mentioned in this post
Airport Mesa
Airport Mesa
2,352 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,974 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
4,987 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Chapel of the Holy Cross
Chapel of the Holy Cross
8,320 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona Vortex's

Some people belive in vortexes. Some people believe there is no frost on the golf course in January and February. No reason to put anybody down about their beliefs. I am willing to bet more people travel to Sedona for the vortexes than for the golf course. And I'll bet they spend more money while there.

Wide World of Maps has I believe more different maps on Sedona than perhaps all the rest of the world combined. I suggest you check their web site to see if they have a vortex map. See the site:

http://www.maps4u.com/

Edited: 03 September 2012, 19:54
Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,884 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona Vortex's

There is an energy all around Sedona. Most people sense it while there here in one way or another. Peacefulness and relaxation are probably the most normal reactions. Some folks even claim that they experience healing powers.

What they can't claim is that they walked or hiked or drove to a point where the energy meters went berserk. Those places are a myth, or just outright lies.

The idea of drawing maps and leading tours, for a fee of course, was dreamed up by some enterprising individuals who wanted to capitalize on the tourists who come to Sedona "looking to find themselves".

So don't go seeking a marker on the ground, or near a tree or a rock that will be designated as a vortex. Those don't exist. Rather, arrive in Sedona with an open mind, not an empty one, and you'll likely have a magical time.

It's interesting to observe that the OP never returned to this thread after posting in April. Michelle, welcome to the forum, but uncertain why you would drag up an old thread like this for your first post. It's easy to see the curmudgeon replied more to insult me than to be a help in the matter.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedona Vortex's

Some would say the insult lies in telling someone who believes in something that it doesn't exists. It's almost like talking about religion. If people believe in this stuff, then I guess they can draw maps about it, just as they can hold meetings and write books about it. I do seem to recall seeing a map about the vortexes, and I can only imagine it came from Wide World of Maps, a place I cannot recomend more highly for just about any map need, expecially for Arizona.

I, too, find it odd that this pops up at such a late date.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Orlando, Florida...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedona Vortex's

The one by the airport. Park just off the main road, short hike to the vortex, ~5min hike/climb.

7. Re: Sedona Vortex's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2013, 10:15