We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

Self explanatory question!

We'll be visiting Flagstaff for just one night as part of a road trip that will take us from Phoenix to GCNP to Las Vegas, and then onto California this summer (end of June). Three generation, Family of 6. Grandma, Mum, Dad and 3 teen daughters.

Which would be your hotel of choice for our family? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

Little America is my favorite hotel in Flagstaff, set in the pines, with extra sized rooms, a hiking path, onsite lounge and dining, a gift shop and just a great "feel" to it. The Traveler Center next door offers many extras that are helpful for your trip, including a sandwich counter for lunch to go if you like. Across the highway is Black Bart's Steak House which is unique to itself for it's entertainment by the local college students singing show tunes while serving your meal.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

Thanks for your quick response, AZFan!

I am leaning towards Little America, even though I'd never heard of them before rooting around onTA for reviews! They are also a little cheaper than HIE.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

Little America also is our favorite hotel. You'll love it. We stayed several times.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

@Zafiragirl: Holiday Inn Express properties are pretty much everywhere. Little America is also a chain, but a much smaller one (I think they have a total of 8 hotels in all spread out through California, Wyoming, Utah and Arizona). It is generally regarded to be among the nicest hotels in Flagstaff. You might find the decor a little "old school/retro" but by no means scruffy or unkempt. I've never stayed in their rooms, but during my Grand Canyon days I went to many business meetings there where we dined on-property. Always enjoyed it. So for uniqueness and quality, Little America is the clear winner. Here's their website if you want to see some pictures ->: http://flagstaff.littleamerica.com/

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

We have stayed in a hundred HIE's, (or maybe it just feels that way!)

Little America booked. Very excited to try something a little different. the pool looks lovely too!

Thanks again for all your input, it's much appreciated :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

I'd ask for a groundfloor room with garden/poolview. No elevator to the 2nd floor.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

We haven't stayed at Little America, but I think you made a good choice. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Flagstaff many times, and IMO it is not typical of the chain. It was formerly a regular Holiday Inn and is bigger than typical HIEx's. Some of the rooms are very small. Not much good dining in walking distance - I definitely do not recommend the Denny's there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

If you've stayed at one HIExpress, you've seen a hundred. Nothing special here folks. Please move along.

Enough for the chiche's. Little Ameria is the clear choice between the two you asked about in Flagstaff.

For a really fun evening, book reservations at Black Bart's Dinner Theatre across the street.

9. Re: Flagstaff Hotels - HI Express or Little America?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:17