We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyonland

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
271 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Canyonland

Where is the view where it looks like a crater inside the earth? Do I have to take the Shaffer trail to see it? Small suv RAV4 Toyota, can I take the Shaffer trail ?(not the entire trail of course),

Thanks for your help.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyonland

Canyonlands is in Utah and you're in the Arizona forum now. Maybe you are referring to Meteor Crater east of Flagstaff. From Island in the Sky in Canyonlands you have great views also but not a crater. Shafer trail can be rough but you can drive it if you wish. It's a dirt road so your rentalcompany won't allow it.

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,807 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyonland

OP is referring to a crater-like natural formation near Moab UT. I've never been there, but in photos the road looks wicked and more suited to mules and goats than vehicles. The road is described as a "jeep trail," which in my vocabulary means a true 4WD or AWD high clearance off-road vehicle. A RAV4 is not that.

Try the Moab Utah forum.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyonland

Maybe Upheavel dome and crater.

Have not been there either.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 22:57
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyonland

If you are referring to Upheaval Dome in Canyonlands National Park (Moab Utah), you can view it from the normal road that runs through the park. There are hiking trails in that region as well.

Shafer Trail starts near the Shafer Canyon overlook - in a different area of the park. You should be able to drive the road if your Rav4 has 4WD, though you have to make sure to not go over any high clearance objects. Also, be aware of the steepness of the road, and the lack of guard rails, etc. I would not recommend it if your rav4 is a rental vehicle.

Park Map: nps.gov/common/…

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyonland

I drove my rental car on paved road to the trailhead for Upheaval Dome in Canyonlands, Utah. Definitely a different scene and a relatively short hike, if you don't do the entire loop around the crater.

6. Re: Canyonland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:16