We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff or move on to GC

Cape Carteret...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Flagstaff or move on to GC

Okay- Not what I wanted to hear, but now I will focus more on GC, Zion, and Bryce. When leaving Sedona would it be best to head on to the GC or spend the night in Flagstaff? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 45-Minute Helicopter...
531 Reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Grand Canyon and Sedona Deluxe...
629 Reviews
from US$179.29*
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

Sedona to GCNP is a 2 hour drive. If you can get a room inside the park, I'd go straight to the GC.

I'm not discounting Flagstaff, but with your ambitious destination list it would help to know what you think you want to do at Flag.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Cape Carteret...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

GC interests me more- so I will spend a night in GC and then head on to Page and spend probably 2 nights so I can go whitewater rafting. When I leave Page I'm guessing by looking at the map I head to Zion spend a night and head up to Bryce's Canyon for a night. Now that leaves me 2 nights in LV. I've never been to LV. I figure I could stay there 2 nights I go and see the Hoover Damn . Does this sound like a realistic plan? What suggestions do you have?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

I would do Bryce before Zion.Makes your last day to Vegas a three hour drive instead of five.

Instead of Hoover Dam you could see Glen Canyon dam at Page. Cheaper to tour, less crowded, just as impressive. Also has a bridge next to it, just like Hoover.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

Realistic? Yes. Personally I have little use for LV so I'd add a night to Sedona and the other night for Page. Zion could easily be a 2 night stay after Bryce too. But you might enjoy LV so make your choice. Sedona and Page can both easily keep you entertained for three days and longer. The Glen Canyon Dam at Page is equally as impressive as Hoover Dam and much more convenient and less expensive to tour.

You could go from Page to Bryce, then Zion, or Zion then Bryce. The former makes for less back tracking. But it could depend on lodging availability. At Bryce, the park lodge or cabins is the first choice, but Rubys Inn just outside the park is a good second choice and they've been hosting visitors for over a century now. At Zion there is a lodge inside the park, but I like staying in Springdale, at the park entrance. Plenty of lodging and great dining options there.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Cape Carteret...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

Oh thank you .....that is what I wanted to hear.How to spread my time out. I've never had the desire to go to LV and I feel a few hours will be all I need to satisfy my curiosity...... But I did want to see it while I was in the area. I feel more focused on where to spend my time. I will now begin trying to book some places to stay in the GC, Page , Zion, and Bryce. Anymore guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm for sure going to stay the 3rd night in Sedona. Seems like there is lots to so in the area.

Thank you so much!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

Glad to help. Get busy on those lodging reservations. If the GCNP website shows nothing available, call them.

888-297-2757

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

<<I will spend a night in GC and then head on to Page and spend probably 2 nights so I can go whitewater rafting>> Just to clarify, Grand Canyon white water rafting trips start out of Lees Ferry/Marble Canyon, about 20 miles downriver from the Glen Canyon Dam. They also require a minimum time commitment of 4 days and that's for a partial trip requiring a hike out of Phantom Ranch at the end. There is a wonderful smooth water float trip available in Page, the Colorado River Discovery half-day float trip, which does not go through any rapids, but is still very beautiful and worthwhile. RedRox can vouch for that too. Visit www.raftthecanyon.com or call 928-645-9175

Mentioned in this post
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

Thanks K-Bot. I missed that.

The raft trip at Page is an awesome trip, but there is no white water.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

To elaborate on this topic (Grand Canyon rafting) a bit, the only single-day white water raft trip in the Grand Canyon area is operated by the Hualapai Indian Tribe out of Peach Springs AZ. The trip puts in at Diamond Creek, goes through 9 sets of Class II & III rated rapids, and takes out at Quartermaster Canyon. If all goes according to program, you're airlifted out by helicopter; if the helicopters are unable to operate due to high winds or other weather concerns, you're motored down to an alternate pull-out location on Lake Mead.

Peach Springs (the trip meets at the Hualapai Lodge) is located on Old Route 66 about 90 minutes from Williams AZ. You can catch it directly from there, or some local companies offer tour packages that include round-trip transportation from Flagstaff, Williams or Sedona. Example of one ->: http://bit.ly/wh6owG It is a long day with an early start, and you will be tired afterward, so it's best if you'res staying the night before and preferably the night after either in Peach Springs or somewhere close by.

Mentioned in this post
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,464 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flagstaff or move on to GC

To be clear, the Hualapai trip is nowhere near the GCNP at the south rim. And even farther away from Page.

Edited: 28 May 2012, 17:31