We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Wonders

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
7 Wonders

Hi ,

I am planning a trip to the Grand canyon in the next two years . the problem is I live in South Africa and it is my objective to do a three in one (Grand Canyon , Paracutin and Rio) but for my Kids sake I would like to fit Disney (Orlando) in as well. I know it is going to break my bank but is it too much(travelling)? , do I start at Rio and work my way up ? Not sure whether I am asking the correct Forum ?

Any other advice ?

Thanks

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Wonders

Rio as in Rio de Janeiro Brazil?

Paricutin is a volcano in Mexico in the state of Michoacan, and is not very accessible.

Grand Canyon and Orlando we understand. They are 2000 miles (3400 km) distant from one another. The closest airports to GC would be Las Vegas or Phoenix.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Wonders

I think OP is referring to the Harbor of Rio de Janeiro, which is listed as one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World. sevennaturalwonders.org/the-original/…

Don't know how they'd pull off a 3-in-1 trip like they're describing but would love to read the trip report!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Wonders

I checked the flights and it is relatively straight forward. You can fly from Johannesburg to Rio, then Rio to Miami and rent a car to drive to Orlando (of fly if you wish). Fly from Miami to Mexico City and rent a car to visit Michoacan. Fly from Mexico City to Las Vegas and rent a car (or fly from Mexico City to Phoenix and rent car). Lastly, fly from either Las Vegas or Phoenix to Johannesburg. ITA shows a cost or about 32000 ZAR per person. It is a lot of flying but doable.

matrix.itasoftware.com/view/details…

Nor sure that I can advise as to specifics. Check TripAdvisor for each location to get an idea of the travel times and sites to see.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Wonders

Why the hell fly to Mexico... When one can visit a impressive cinder cone & lava flows outside of Flagstaff & in the Grand Canyon ??? carracar

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Wonders

And Disneyland in Anaheim (near Los Angeles) will be a lot closer to GC than DW Orlando.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Wonders

I would certainly not want the hassle of all this flying aorund on my vacation - one international flight is usually bad enough with all that it entails these days ... Whereas I certainly don't want to belittle what Rio has to offer (apart from WAY too much traffic and pollution) or the jungles and plains of Mexico - it is certainly a fact that in the SouthWest of the US you could treat yourself and your kids to a more relaxing experience of great reward. Apart from the grand Canyon, there are volcanoes and lava flows and tubes, a meteor crater, a petrified forest, places like Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly ... a gazillion native dwellings, cliff dwellings and pueblos, the beaches and ports of southern California, the parks in the Sierra Nevada ... and Disneyland as well as other great amusement and theme parks.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Wonders

You should also be aware that in many places in Mexico there is an increasing level of violence involving drug cartels. While much of this is seen in the areas around the US-Mexican borders, there has been violence elsewhere, just recently in Mexico City. Might want to rethink the plans, given the information all the other posters have given you.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,181 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Wonders

I wouldn't share much concern about danger to visitors traveling between Mexico City and Uruapan to see the Paricutin volcano. I would however be concerned about them getting lost. Highways other than main highways in Mexico are not always well-marked. And GPS is not reliable in remote areas sometimes. The area where the volcano is located is about a 6 hour drive from Mexico City and has few resources for tourists. Guadalajara is closer.

It really doesn't make sense to me to fly to Mexico, then drive to see a volcano for perhaps one day, then one to another distant destination. The volcano is located in a tropical jungle and can only be reached on foot or horseback.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Wonders

Appreciate all the feedback.(esp. CurtCam) it really does help. Just a little background and then maybe it will make some sense : It was a idea that was hatched when I was with a group of friends at Vic Falls (another Wonder ) in Zimbabwe. And whilst we were there nobody could name all the NATURAL wonders. After researching them all, the plan sort of took seed to actually go and see them and at the same time watch a sporting event in that country(sports fanatic). Since then I have lost some close members of my family and this has made me all that more determined !! So i have already taken my family (wife + 2 boys ) to the Great Barrier reef in Aussie and at the same time watched the World cup rugby in New Zealand. It has done "wonders" for my kids in opening their eyes to the world out there and when I eventually die I should hope that I have left them some precious memories. Sounds a litte dramatic but thats it.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
10. Re: 7 Wonders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:17