We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning arizona vacation

Lakewood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning arizona vacation

Hi,

I am planning a vacation to arizona for 5 days. Going with my husband and our nine month old baby. Was thinking to do Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. I need help planning the best things to do in each area (with baby). I appreciate your help!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,051 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning arizona vacation

That's a lot for 5 days. Book your night for the GCNP first and build the plan around it. When do you plan to do this trip? What do you see yourselves doing at the destinations?

Edited: 15 July 2012, 04:39
Lakewood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning arizona vacation

Whats the best place to stay in GCNP. We are travelling week of Aug 12. Need help with attractions/sites at these destinations....Do you think there are any other places that I must see in Arizona?? (Wanna do it as best as I can :) )

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,051 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning arizona vacation

Any place inside the park is where you want to stay. Don't e surprised to find all lodging sold out.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

888-297-2757

Call everyday if you need to; cancellations do happen.

Next best place is in Tusayan, just outside the park boundary.

With 5 days, I would choose 3 nights in Sedona and 1 at GCNP. Your vacation with an infant should include relaxation. Moving 2-3 hours away everyday to more places will impede that.

Phoenix in August is very hot. Page is beautiful but involves tours and hikes that will be tough with the baby, and to be honest, you don't have enough time. Sedona and GCNP are easier to self tour at your own pace.

…go.com/Travel/…

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning arizona vacation

Hi Rachel and welcome to the forum. However you configure your days in AZ, keep in mind that it is very hot in August in the Phoenix area and plan as much as you can in the northern part of the state (GCNP, Sedona) in the higher elevations. Your baby will be much more comfortable. Park in a shady place if you can, cover the car seat with a towel when parked and keep your child hydrated and cool, bring a hat and sunscreen especially for your any time in the Phx area, and even up north too, still quite warm. You will see some beautiful country up there!

If you are planning on a "resort day" here in the valley, you will find some great rates this time of year, but book soon, they are disappearing. Not sure what your budget is, but the Pointe Hiltons have good family pools.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 05:02
Lakewood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning arizona vacation

thanks both for your help! AZ fan what do u recommend as far as place/sites to visit?

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,399 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning arizona vacation

RR is correct, get a place to stay inside the GCNP if you can, all the day trippers go home and you can really enjoy the park "after hours". If your baby wakes you up early, bundle up and head out for the sunrise over the canyon, nothing like it. The Rim Trail there is stroller friendly, but i would not head down into the canyon with one - if your baby is walking, keep him/her in the stroller when near the rim, yes it is a steep drop off, to say the least.

I will defer to the Sedona experts for what to see and do there, but it is a very special, breath-taking place, second only to the GC in my opinion in the state as far as "must-sees". Chapel of the Holy Cross, driving Oak Creek Canyon, Tlaquepaque for shopping, West Fork Trail along the creek are some of my favorites.

In the Scottsdale/Phx area,keep your activities indoors or in the pool! There is McCormick Stillman Railroad Park in Scottsdale which is just an incredible place for kids...carousel and train ride, but go when they first open or after sunset. The Heard Museum and the new Musical Instrument Museum are world class here in Phx, definitely a worthy stop if either hold interest for you.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 05:37
7. Re: Planning arizona vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 10:17