We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip from san diego

lebanon
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
road trip from san diego

Would appreciate your input regarding a trip that will do mid Sept to San Diego, than will have at least 15 days of driving, than back to LA to catch my flight.

Was looking for Scenic Roads and Scenic Towns to visit.

So was planning of going from San Diego, since have 3 days of lectures, to Pheonix Arizona , spending 1 night over there, than 3 nights in south and north of grand canyon and Bryce canyon. Than going for 4 nights in Las Vegas than driving and staying few days in LA.

Any other suggestions/ comments of my routes and selections of Towns? any scenic route that i should take?

Thank you

Edited: 20 August 2012, 15:21
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip from san diego

If you just have one night to spend in Phoenix, then I think you would be better going directly to the Grand Canyon. I also don't think visiting both the north and south rims would be best. Maybe just visit the south rim, then go to Bryce, then use your extra time (although I guess you won't have much) to go to Zion, Cedar Breaks or one of several other nice parks between Bryce and Las Vegas, or something else between the Grand Canyon and Bryce (Wupatki/Sunset Crater, for instance).

Also, what time of year were you planning on doing this? The North Rim is closed from roughly November to late May, so that would be out anyway if you're planning on coming during that time. Bryce also experiences quite a bit of snowfall during that time.

You say you have 15 days of driving, but you have 1 + 3 + 4 = 8 that you've outlined. Do you have other plans? Staying a week in LA?

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
832 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip from san diego

From Phoenix to the GC south rim, you should take the scenic route thruogh wickenburg - an authentic old western town which has preserved its old west spirit - and then along 89 to Prescott - another authentic western town - then along 89a to the mining town of Jerome and then through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff.

Spend one or even better two nights at the GC south rim, preferably at a rim lodge. Those would need to be booked ASAP as vacancies at the rim lodges are at a premium for most of the year and get booked very well in advance especially for peak season – which is much of the year.

For the in-park hotels, visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757, from outside the USA the number for GC is 303-297-2757

Failing that you can get lodging right outside the south gate (main entrance to the park) in Tusayan, about ten minutes' drive from the rim. What some people do is reserve a room at one of the Tusayan hotels, but then keep calling Xanterra for cancellations – which do happen, but don’t make it back onto the website before they’re snatched up again. That way you might still get ‘inside’ and then just cancel the prior reservation at Tusayan.

With your timeframe, I'd bypass the north rim and focus on Bryce and Zion, as well as add a night or two in Page, as you'll be driving through it anyway. Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, a trip on the river or the lake are just too good to miss since you're going that way anyway.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 15:36
lebanon
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip from san diego

Thanks a lot for your reply and helpful comments.

I can stay in Phoenix for 2 days. ( if interesting as a city)

Was planning of staying for 7 days in San Diego since have 3 full days of lectures than at the end of my trip , in Los angeles 3 days and the rest driving so I can have a road trip of 10 days ( therefore total of 20 days)

Will be coming mid sept

I am pretty much open for the route that I will take but would like it to be a scenic route and towns and yes some shopping in an outlet store.

lebanon
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip from san diego

Was planning of staying for 7 days in San Diego since have 3 full days of lectures than at the end of my trip , in Los angeles 3 days and the rest driving so I can have a road trip of 10 days ( therefore total of 20 days)

Will be coming mid sept

I am pretty much open for the route that I will take but would like it to be a scenic route and towns and yes some shopping in an outlet store.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip from san diego

Mid-September in Phoenix will still see temperatures right around 40C (sorry, assuming "Lebanon" is the country and not, say, Lebanon, Pennsylvania). You can find things to do there, certainly, but it will be very warm during the day, so they'll have to be mostly indoor activities.

From San Diego to Phoenix, I would encourage you to take CA 78 instead of I-8. It's more scenic as it reaches into the mountains east of San Diego, through the cute town of Julian, then gives you quite a bit of the Imperial Dunes.

Don't skimp on the Grand Canyon though. Two nights, one full day, minimum. Stay in the park lodges. Try to book it now: http://grandcanyonlodges.com

Mid-September is wonderful at the Grand Canyon.

lebanon
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip from san diego

Will be coming mid sept

lebanon
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip from san diego

thanks for your comments.

lebanon
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip from san diego

After lots of research , i am thinking of this drive, which has been inspired by a previous post

( would appreciate any comment that you would have

By the way i am into country music/ bar and not sure where in my trip will found these ( thanks for some addresses)

from San Diego

1) I-15 to Poway -

2) Julian to Salton Sea- turn left

3) Indio

4) US 60 to Aquila to 71

5) 89 thru Yarnell into Prescott

Spend in Prescott (1 night)

6) driving over Mingus Mtn to Jerome and to Sedona and up Oak Creek Canyon

7) Sunset Crater/Wupatki Nat monument

8) Cameron.

9) than Grand Canyon Village ( still not sure where to stay since no places and quite expensive) (2 nights)

10) than going to Bryce canyon for (1 night)

11) Hackberry

12) than driving to Kingman

13) Oatman

14) Peach Springs ( 1 night) skywalk and water raft

15) Las Veags ( 3 nights)

16) Joshua Tree ( 1 night)

17) Palm springs

18) LOS Angeles

thanks a lot for your thoughts, comments and night spent

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
832 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip from san diego

Don't take hwy 71 after Aguila, but stay on 60 as far as wickenburg - it's really worth a stop, trust me on that one. it's an authentic western town - with bars that play country music - and take 89 just north of Wickenburg. In miles it's a very minor detour, and you'll get to see an 'Old West' town.

You haven't made any provisions for staying at Page. You'll be driving through it, stay a night there! In any case, Hackberry is a stop of up to an hour, max. Go from Bryce to Page, stay the nght there (or better still, two nights) and drive to Kingman from Page via Seligman, Route66 and the Hackberry General Store - which is really why you stop in Hackberry.

Same with Cameron. Definitely stop and look at it - but there's nothing there but the trading post - if you can, spend the night, since you've said there's no vacancy at the GC in-park lodges. But the following morning yuo'll wanna head on into the GCNP.

Me, personally, I'd definitely skip the Skywalk and save the roughly 100 bucks per person for gazing into a side canyon for a few minutes w/o being allowed to take pictures, should I actually want to after I've been to the 'real' Grand Canyon.

Raft trip: you should do that in Page and take the float trip from below Glen Dam to Lee's Ferry on the Colorado river.

I'm not a gambler either, so I'd reduce my time in Vegas to two nights - again, this is a matter of personal preference, but when you've seen the Strip you've seen it.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 17:40
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,368 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip from san diego

Indio? Anything you want to see there? There's an annual music festival there that I've been to several times, and I would never go except for that. Date farms are really the only attraction. Not a real nice town. And you're actually missing one of the best parts of CA 78 by going to Indio first: the Imperial Dunes. If you're familiar with "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi," this is where the desert scenes from that were filmed, if that gives you an idea of how they look. Quite a sight.

Prescott is a nice town and has the western feel I think you're looking for. Not much for country music though. I've never been too impressed with Wickenburg, personally, but you could look into it. It's not that far out of the way. There's very little in both Aguila and Congress, so it would certainly be the better place to stop for food.

The Skywalk is both a waste of your time (it's somewhat difficult to reach) and money (it's very expensive). After having been to the South Rim, it will be a huge disappointment for you. Cut out your eastern detour to see that and you'll have a lot more time for more worthwhile things.

I think, in general, you're trying to cram way too much in. One night at Bryce flanked by full day drives isn't really going to work. There's nothing to do there at night (rural Utah = very little drinking).