We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

criminal traffic violation

london
2 posts
Save Topic
criminal traffic violation

Hello

I've been careless and have gotten a criminal traffic violation. Speeding, 94 in a 75 zone. I've been given instructions to call the local court office.

I'm obviously worried about this, and i will call the court first thing in the morning. Does anybody know if a court appearance is necessary? i am from the UK and will travel home next Saturday so i don't think I'll be able to fly back over for one. I am more than willing to pay the fine. Thanks

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,043 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: criminal traffic violation

Call the court, Don't give any information about where you are or when you are leaving. If you plan to pay the fine, ask how much and where to send it. Don't volunteer any information that is not necessary.

london
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: criminal traffic violation

Thanks, so appearing in court or getting a lawyer to appear for me may not be necessary and just paying the fine could clear it up? The reason i am worried is that it is a criminal traffic offence and not a civil offence.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,043 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: criminal traffic violation

That's why you need to call the court office.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: criminal traffic violation

Listen to Bob, he lives in AZ and probably knows more than any of us. But, yikes, almost 20mph over the speed limit! Hopefully you CAN just pay a fine. Good luck and don't volunteer any information. Oh...and slow down!

5. Re: criminal traffic violation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 August 2012, 02:43
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: criminal traffic violation

If you are in doubt if there are any other consequences other than paying your fine, which you seem willing to do,especially if there is the risk of jail time, I suggest you contact a competant lawyer first thing in the morning for advice and perhaps representation.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: criminal traffic violation

I agree, legal and medical advice from a travel forum manned by volunteers isn't the best. But common sense dictates not to give out any information and to contact the courts. Good luck.

8. Re: criminal traffic violation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 August 2012, 02:43
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: criminal traffic violation

I agree, don. So why do you keep posting suggestions of what he should do? You are the one giving most of the "advice". Bob's only advice was to call the court. Maybe you need to just go and troll the Sedona forum a little more and quit trying to advise what the OP should do about the traffic ticket.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: criminal traffic violation

I agree 100% with Mike. Bob's "advice" was pretty much to call the court, which he repeated twice. I find it ironic that the one giving most of the "advice" is Donald - combined, of course, with his obligatory (but completely uncalled for) rudeness and insults.

To the OP - the suggestion by Bob is the best - just call the court. We can't tell you anything about your ticket or possible court appearance.