We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Advice

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Advice

My husband & I would like to be snowbirds for about 3 weeks in February 2013 & would really appreciate advice for seeing some of AZ, possibly a few days in Laughlin, NV. We will be starting out from our home in Grand Junction, CO. I have been trying to find condos or houses on VRBO & am having very little luck. It appears you must book these popular snowbird spots in AZ way in advance. So we will probably be staying in hotels. We like hiking, shopping, hanging out by a pool. Thanks for any suggestions on the agenda.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Advice

You could sign up at the various Laughlin hotel web sites for emails about special deals. There's a lot to do in that area besides gamble.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Advice

Rather than having someone on this forum plan this trip for you, you might want to consider doing some research into sights and attractions, based on your interests and budget, and put together a preliminary itinerary. Then come back to the forum with your draft and get some meaningful input from the locat experts.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Advice

Welcome to the forums, Deinse.

Yes a little more detail would be helpful. AZ covers a lot of area. Were you thinking of just one place in AZ (in addition to your time in Laughlin, NV)? Were your thinking Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, Sedona, elsewhere? Pros and cons to each. I go to Phoenix for a week in the late Feb/early March timeframe and I do start months in advance to find a suitable VRBO house for a group of golfers. This is prime time due to the weather, the golf and in early March spring training baseball. But I would think that there would still be places available that are the right size for just two people. If the Phoenix area is on your list, perhaps look a little further out, say Buckeye. Or look at one of the extended stay hotels (probably more expensive than renting a house or condo, but there would be more room and more amenities than a standard motel rooms.

If you cannot find a suitable base, perhaps make this a road trip through the state and spend a few days at several locations and take in the best of each.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Advice

Have you tried this: http://www.rentals.com/Arizona/

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Advice

Tucson has its gem show going on in February. The vacation rentals are hard to come by then. For Phoenix, I would look more north, toward New River and Anthem, just because there are no spring training baseball stadia in that part of town. You could also look into Maricopa and Casa Grande.

If you're interested in Laughlin and northwest Arizona, I'd suggest you look at Lake Havasu City, Kingman, Golden Valley and even Yuma. It's a big state; there's always something.

6. Re: Road Trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 10:18