We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Phoenix Christmas

Rochester MN
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A Phoenix Christmas

Hi. We are coming down to Phoenix dec 24-29. We are planning to surprise my mother in law and can't wait to visit! A couple of questions: what are some "Christmas-y" things we could do while there? Any light displays, etc that are worth visiting? Does anyone know of places to eat Christmas Eve and day? And is camelback mountain open on Christmas? Thanks so much!!!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

Camelback is open every day of the year, sunrise to sunset.

The Arizona Celebration of Lights, on the west side of Phoenix (Avondale maybe) is supposed to have quite a display, although I think they charge $15-20/car. The Desert Botanical Gardens puts on a really great display. They call it Las Noches de Luminarias. They do sell out from time to time, so make reservations in advance. On the east side of town, in Mesa, is the Temple Gardens Christmas Display. I haven't been there but members of my family go every year.

If you tell us where you are staying (approximately) we could probably guide you into some restaurants without having you look all across the valley.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

The zoo also has an illuminations event you could check out online to see if it interests you.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

the zoo lights show that tx mentioned is a good idea. they have a newly updated show this year. i drove by the celebration of lights, which erick suggested, on the west side the other evening. it looked worthwhile from what i could see. the mormon temple in mesa is also a popular attraction. the choir is very good.

you might enjoy the nutcracker ballet: www.nutcrackerballet.net/html/arizona.html

i would also drive down scottsdale rd in old town scottsdale, central ave in phx, mill ave in tempe and main st. in mesa.

keep an eye on the south side of camelback mountain to see the gigantic 'Merry Christmas' light display.

i would also recommend to take a drive up south mountain (in the day time) to get a great view of the valley.

Rochester MN
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

Thanks everyone! We will be staying at the Drury in north Phoenix near happy valley rd and I-17. My kids 5,8 will be with us so we are looking for some great food recommendations but nothing that our kids wouldn't be okay at

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions!

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

vacay...

i forgot to mention mccormick-stillman railroad park in scottsdale.

santa will be there....the whole nine yards. for kids...this would be a must see.

have a great time!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

For Zoo Lights and the Railroad Park, go EARLY, as soon as they open. You will thank us for that advice...very popular, great for your whole family, but be there when they open to enjoy it.

7. Re: A Phoenix Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 07:17