We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip Arizona

Mayo
8 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip Arizona

Hi,

I am planning a Roadtrip in July 2013. I will be arriving in Arizona from Gallup (NM) and I will be finishing up in San Diego(CA). I have about four full days in Arizona.

I have been to the Grand Canyon before so its not a priority. I am just wondering what are the highlights besides. I would really be intersted in seeing Monument Valley but it seems abit out of the way. Is it worth it??

I am looking for some advise on where to stop off along the way and what routes to take. Small towns with character and desert /canyon landscape is what we are interested in. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip Arizona

With four days you can add Monument Valley like this

Day 1: Drive from Gallup to Canyon de Chelly NM with a stop at Window Rock and Hubbell Trading Post on your way. You easily can take rest of the day for CdC with the rim drives, a hike to White House etc. Best is to take a tour inside the canyon but they take at least 3 hours. Don't miss Spider Rock. Stay Chinle

Day 2: Drive from Chinle to Monument Valley via IR59. That's only a 2 hours drive. Take a guided tour into Monument Valley and stay for the night at The View hotel or Gouldig's Lodge. Make reservations for that.

Day 3: Drive from Monument Valley to Sedona to stay for the night. On your way are places Codetalkers museum in Kayenta, Navajo NM, Cameron Trading Post, Wupatki NM, Sunset Crater Volcano NM, Walnut Canyon NM and the great drive on az89A via Oak Creek Canyon .

Day 4: It's about an 8 hours drive to San Diego from Sedona via Phoenix, az85 to I8 and to SD all the way on I8. On your way you'll see many Saguaro cacti and beautiful rockformations when you drive over the mountains just before San Diego. You also drive through huge sanddunes just west of Yuma.

You also easily can spend an extra day in Sedona if those 4 days are for Az alone.

Tet

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip Arizona

Monument Valley is absolutely worth it! Tet 14 has made excellent suggestions on how you can include it and then some in your trip itinerary. I'm curious though, have you ever been to Page and Lake Powell? If not, you should definitely try to get there, especially in summertime. It's absolutely stunning and it's got water... lots of it... 'nuff said ;-)

From Flagstaff, you would take Highway 89 due North to Page Arizona (a "small town with character and desert /canyon landscape"). The drive takes ~ 2.5 hours. Because there is so much to do there, you'd probably want to stay for a couple of nights. Popular activities include boat tours on Lake Powell, the Glen Canyon Smooth Water Float Trip, Antelope Slot Canyon, just to name a few. From Page, you could drive to Monument Valley (appx 2 hour drive; remember you'd "lose" an hour passing from Page to the Navajo Indian Reservation), stay the night, take a guided tour as Tet has suggested. Then head back to Flagstaff, from which San Diego is ~ an 8 hour drive (not including Sedona). map ->: http://goo.gl/maps/bJWAa

Another option that involves a little less moving around, yet still works Monument Valley in: a fixed wing airplane flight from Page. 90-minute flyovers and 1/2 day air/ground tours are available from the Page Municipal Airport, conducted by Grand Canyon Airlines and Westwind Air Service.

Not sure how long your total trip is, but if by this point you'd relish the opportunity to get off your wheels and maybe even let someone else do the driving, you might consider just kicking back in Flagstaff for a few days and taking day trips or tour packages to Monument Valley and some of the outlying attractions. Most hotels in Flagstaff are well-versed in the various companies, trip options, etc. and can help you set them up. A small sampling of some of the better hotels in Flagstaff (and promo codes) ->: http://bit.ly/W3g0Ov

Good luck - have fun!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip Arizona

Monument Valley is totally worth it. I'd also include Page / Lake Powell (Horseshoe Bend, river float trip, Antelope Canyon).

Another gem is definitely Canyon de Chelly / Chinle.

Between Flagstaff and I-10 you should take the scenic route thruogh Oak Creek Canyon - Sedona - Jerome - Prescott - Wickenburg, for some genuine Old West atmosphere and gorgeous scenery.

4. Re: Roadtrip Arizona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 08:16