We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Hi,

I have the follow travel plan as below

Anaheim to Kingman on Friday, 14/12

Kingman to Grand Canyon Kachina lodge on Sat, 15/12

and Grand Canyon to Las Vegas on Sun, 16/5

I need advice if it is possible to go ahead with the plan in view of the weather condition. I do not have winter driving experience non and chain for tires.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Forget chains. If you don't have any, and you have never used them, you can easily damage your car. If they would be needed, you don't belong on the road anyway.

All we can tell you is watch the weather for the Grand Canyon. The weather changes and is often unpredictable. It is going to snow tonight with a possible accumulation of an inch early morning. That's different than earlier forecasts calling for 6-10". Snow is predicted during the day tomorrow, but the forecast I am reading does not predict how much. Another forecast is calling for "snow showers" which means light snow. If this proves to be correct, and there is not much accumulation, just exercise care in driving. Except for major snow storms, roads are kept clear.

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Hi Bob,

Is it safe to drive on the road with normal tires with snow falling down on the road? With slow speed and care, what is the chance of can not going out of control with snow on the road? Thank you.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

On the highways, traffic eliminates light snow. Snow plows push off any accumulation, and drop chemicals which melt the snow. Drive in the daytime. You can judge what the conditions are like by observing other cars and drivers. It is safe with caution. Don't go too fast. Judge speed from other vehicles.

To see road conditions in Arizona, go to az511.com. There is even a map there where you can look at live webcams, and see the road and the traffic.

Yes, it is safe to drive on the road with normal tires with snow falling down, as long as there is not much accumulation. You have to judge what is comfortable for you. Ice is what causes people to go out of control. If you're not comfortable, then don't go.

Edited: 14 December 2012, 09:20
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Also depends on the profile of your summertires. I also have M&S tires on my car in winter and they handle much better in snowy conditions.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Check www.az511.com for road conditions before you set out. If the storm turns out to be a severe one, as in unsafe for you to drive, Xanterra (Kachina Lodge) is usually quite understanding about having to cancel hotel rooms under those conditions. Keep the # 928-638-2631 handy if you need to change dates, late arrival, etc.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

All I can tell you is be VERY Careful. I was up at Grand Canyon area mid-October and we had ICE on the car in the morning.

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Thank you for the advice.

I do not really know how to read the information on weather on AZ511.

I am travelling to Barstow now. May head to LV or Kingman depending on weather. Only concern is road condition from kingman to GC and GC on sat to LV on sun morning.

I will check this thread and call my motel in kingman and GC for information too.

SG
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Thank you for the advice.

I do not really know how to read the information on weather on AZ511.

I am travelling to Barstow now. May head to LV or Kingman depending on weather. Only concern is road condition from kingman to GC and GC on sat to LV on sun morning.

I will check this thread and call my motel in kingman and GC for information too.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

Go to az511.com. Once the page is loaded, click on "Statewide Traffic Map". Then, with your mouse you can move the map and zoom in to the area along I-40, near Williams (which is where the worst weather will be, and it's what you'll have to drive through to get to the GC.)

The red triangles indicate important traffic alerts; usually a car crash. You can also turn on the camera icon, and see almost real-time photos of the freeway, so you can see how snowy it looks.

Currently, it looks like there are several crashes near Williams, including cars that have slid off the road, which generally means there's a lot of snow and ice. It might look better tomorrow, or it might not. It's your choice whether or not to attempt it, but just be extremely cautious if you do, and definitely travel only in the daytime.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed in view of winter weather alert

The highway appears clear all the way. Closer to Flagstaff and GCNP there is snow on the side of the road. I see no cars off the highway; perhaps cleared up. The Williams camera is aimed at the countryside instead of the highway. It is wet but not reported as icy.