We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

Hi there! We are an early 40's couple who loves scenery, wildlife and moderate hikes. We are thinking of visiting the last week in August 2014. Hubby is a huge western, particularly Wyatt Earp fan so this impacts my schedule a bit. I realize we are looking at increased fees for a one way car rental, but it was not prohibitive. Please take a look and give your feedback/suggestions.

Day 1 - fly from Atlanta to Tucson and drive to Tombstone - overnight Tombstone

Day 2 - Tour Tombstone - overnight Tombstone

Day 3 - Drive to Tucson - Tour Pima Air Museum - drive to Flagstaff - overnight Flagstaff

Day 4 - Visit Meteor Crater and drive to Grand Canyon - overnight Bright Angel

Day 5 - Helicopter Tour in AM - hikes in afternoon - overnight Bright Angel

Day 6 - Abyss Overlook Mule Ride in AM - hikes in afternoon - overnight Bright Angel

Day 7 - Visit Bearizona Wildlife Park & Montezuma Castle - overnight Sedona

Day 8 - sunrise hot air balloon ride (bucket list for me) then possibly a Pink Jeep tour - overnight Sedona

Day 9 - fly back to Atlanta from Phoenix around noon

This is just a rough draft, and I anticipate many stops while driving for scenery. I appreciate your feedback!

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Meteor Crater
Meteor Crater
3,017 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
2,660 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Bearizona Wildlife Park
Bearizona Wildlife Park
2,868 Reviews
Williams, AZ
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
Pink Jeep Tours Sedona
8,222 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

We love Tombstone but had seen it in half a day. And your time for Tucson is very short. Maybe see Tombstone the morning of day 2 and drive to Tucson for Pime Air. Then early next morning visit one of Tucson''s main attractions called Arizona Sonora Desert Museum before the 4+ hours drive to Flagstaff.

Around Flagstaff you''ll find places like Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki NM''s. Enter GC by its east entrance and make a stop at Cameron Trading Post. Montezuma Castle is between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Don''t miss az89A from Flagstaff to Sedona via Oak Creek Canyon.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
Arizona-Sonora Desert...
7,546 Reviews
Tucson, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Cameron Trading Post
Cameron Trading Post
373 Reviews
Cameron, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Oak Creek Canyon
Oak Creek Canyon
2,938 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
836 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

Agree that no matter how much you love Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp and all that (and I do, too!), you've seen Tombstone in half a day and a bit, including Boothill. Stay one night then get the h3ll out of, well, not Dodge, but Tombstone.

Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

Thank you both! My initial version had only one night in Tombstone, but I was afraid to give it that little time. The change to overnighting in Tucson cuts time off the drive to Flagstaff and will make my rear happier.. I also added Walnut Canyon and Sunset Volcano Crater Thank you for those suggestions as well! Planning so far in advance makes me just want to leave now!

Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,857 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

Definitely agree: more time in Tucson. Lots to do in town and the hotels are much nicer than in Tombstone. With your extra time, try to get to the Desert Museum. Pima Air & Space Museum is nice and somewhat unique, but the Desert Museum is really special and worth your time.

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

When in Sedona, a visit to the Chapel, built into the into the Sedona Hills, awesome architecture feat. A hike around or up Bell Rock,breakfast at the Coffee Pot. The one thing i see on this trip....You will be doing a lot of back-tracking.Maybe do Tombstone last while visiting Tucson and take a different route from Tombstone to Meteor Crater/Flagstaff.I would not want to drive I17 back and forth to Phoenix....maybe just back....

This is where all the good planning comes in.....

Edited: 29 December 2012, 19:41
Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Bell Rock
Bell Rock
3,974 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Coffee Pot Restaurant
Coffee Pot Restaurant
2,683 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Meteor Crater
Meteor Crater
3,017 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,242 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

The Abyss Overlook Mule Ride goes through the forest and stops at the Abyss Overlook, not the most impressive of the GCNP overlooks. Kids might enjoy thi but not sure about adults. I would spend the time going out the east drive to Desert View or taking the shuttle out the west drive to Hermits Rest.

Arrange to leave GCNP by the east entrance and visit Wupatki NM (Sunset Crater NM is in the same place) instead of Montezuma. Bearizona is for kids.

After a few hours in Tombstone, drive another half hour to Bisbee, a "turn of the 19th/20th century" mining town.

Mentioned in this post
Hermit's Rest
Hermit's Rest
407 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Bisbee
Bisbee
Arizona
7. Re: August 2013 Proposed Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:17