We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route 66

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
route 66

hi im going to rent a car and im going to drive route 66 the route im going to take is LAS >Kingman AZ > Oatman AZ> Needles CA>LAS and was wondering on my way will i see a floor painted route 66 sign and if so can someone tell me were about i can see one thanks

Pinon Hills
Level Contributor
9 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: route 66

Are you talking about the shields that are painted on the roadbeds? You should drive over a few in the Needles area.

I will get you the exact locations and send them to you. My e-mail is jimconkle@verizon.net

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: route 66

email sent thank you

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: route 66

I don't know how much time you have to work with, but hope you're also planning to explore the section of Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman AZ. Map ->: http://goo.gl/maps/mxOec That's another of the few remaining intact stretches of the old highway. It still looks "frozen in time" with the kitschy storefronts, signs, etc. Seligman in particular is a fun stop. Supposedly it was the basis for the town of "Radiator Springs" in the first "Cars" movie. Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In is a local institution.

If you have time for an overnight in, say, Seligman or Peach Springs, you might take a 4WD tour to the bottom of the Grand Canyon down the Diamond Creek Road (info ->: http://bit.ly/1157QdG ) You'd need to stay overnight somewhere nearby because it leaves very early, but wraps up by lunchtime so you can be on your way to your next destination at a decent hour.

Hope that helps - I'd hate to see you come all the way from England and miss one of the best parts of Route 66!

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: route 66

WOULD section of Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman AZ be better or my original route

Pinon Hills
Level Contributor
9 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: route 66

YES it would. As that section has some of the most photographed locations on the road. Not that you won't enjoy Oatman and Needles also.

As K-Bot shared there is enough to see and do on that section that you could spend a week there.

It is impossible to see and enjoy the road in one day or one trip. I was asked once how long should one spend on the road, and my answer is A LIFE TIME.

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: route 66

did you find out any locations on the road ?

Pinon Hills
Level Contributor
9 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: route 66

Not yet but should later today.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: route 66

For me, best part is between Kingman and Oatman.Road is rather rough and there''s a pass called Sitgreaves pass. You also drive along a goldmine and places like Ed''s Camp and Cool Springs.

The stretch between Kingman and Seligman is a black asphalt 65 mph kind of drive but of course it''s not bad either but no R66 shield painted on the road. Make a stop at Hackberry visitor center and museum with the Vette standing outside.

9. Re: route 66

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 06:18