We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe?

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Safe?

We're headed to southern Arizona in October (Phoenix, Flagstaff, Tucson and Tombstone). I've read the warnings about driving at night. Is there anything else we should know about? I hear South Tucson should be avoided? Thanks!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe?

Warnings about driving at night? I haven't heard those.

The southside of Tucson is a mostly residential area, but it's considered to be "bad," although it's overblown. As a tourist, you would not have much reason to go down there, particularly into the parts of town that actually are bad for crime. Just driving through these areas isn't an issue anyway. This isn't Liberia.

You used to be able to get Nanaimo bars at a local coffee chain, Ike's. I've been demanding their return for years.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe?

Driving on rural 2 lanes roads without much traffic is not recommended in remote areas re wildlife on the roads.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe?

The night-time driving proviso is only on account of the possibility of larger animals (such as deer) suddenly appearing on the road in front of your car. Obviously in this day and age people do get attacked - anywhere in the world- , but Arizona is very, very low on the crime rate scale and the state as such as very safe in this respect. Don't worry.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe?

There are some areas in Tucson that you would probably want to avoid at night, and not only some areas south and west of downtown. But South Tucson is a town surrounded by Tucson. That town is well known for its fabulous Mexican restaurants, so dining there at night is not a problem. As in any city, you would want to make sure you stay on the main streets.

Driving freeways at night would likely not pose any problem. As was mentioned, it is the rural, 2 lane roads that would be more likely to have wildlife wandering across.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,094 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe?

The night driving warnings usually apply to the desolate regions of northern AZ. Flagstaff is not southern AZ. The issues are with wild animals, some larger than most cars, that come out on the highways at night.

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe?

Thanks for the tips!

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe?

Thanks for the tips! Live with lots of wildlife so used to keeping an eye out for them. Planning to see Old City Tucson Studios, Degrazia Gallery and of course Tombstone so probably have to travel some two lane roads. Drove from Vegas to Oatman last year on some of those roads. Saw some beautiful scenery.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe?

Right, and driving between Kingman and Oatman sure is not a road to drive in the dark and not only because you'll miss all the scenery.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe?

There is really no area in Tucson where you would be at risk by driving through a particular area. The "south side" of Tucson, not South Tucson, which as explained above is a separate city, has areas where you might not like to linger, but it is highly unlikely you would go to these places anyway.

Perhaps you might want to ask some questions about what to see in Southern Arizona? If so, let us know.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe?

>>As was mentioned, it is the rural, 2 lane roads that would be more likely to have wildlife wandering across.<<

I frequently see coyotes wandering Tucson's streets at night. For a few nights there was one that like to sit its butt down on the street to work. Idiotic critter. A few months ago I had a javelina run across Swan in front of me at about 10 at night. So, they do run across here in Tucson. But not deer or, more deadly, elk.