We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day Arizona road trip

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 day Arizona road trip

I'm doing a 10 day driving trip from -Apr 13-23, starting and returning at Phoenix(flying from NJ) I'd like to do dispersed camping with a few hotel stays in between. I plan to go south first, booked the program at Kitt Peak, then on to Tucson, mt. Lemmon, and then north to Globe, then want to see the crater at Leupp , and then to Flagstaff and Sedona, with a booked stay in Jerome, plan to see Eliphante on the way back to Phx. I have two nights confirmed (one in Phx and Jerome) but want to keep the rest open depending on what /where I want to linger. Will I be able to find either a camp site(can be rustic) or a cheap hotel without reservations or is this too busy a time of the year? I'm an outdoorsy type, dont need fancy, just clean and safe! My interests are astronomy, desert flowers, hiking, science/art. Any other must-see spots along the way ? thanks in adavance to the TA community. p.s. seems like buying day passes as I go is the best route, but its a little confusing on the NF website, any advice? thanks again!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

It would help to know how much time you plan on spending in each place. For instance, there are so many things to do around Tucson, you should spend at least a few days.

http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

I wanted to keep it a little open, which prompted my question about getting camping/hotel reservations ahead of time? wondering if I needed them. I did figure a couple days in Tucson and a few in the Sedona area. I thought only a day in Phoenix, the rest exploring .

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

After Tucson, drive the I-10 to the 191... Continuing through Safford & passing the imressive Morenci Copper mine,.. Drive up to the wonderful high country to the North,(slow!) for all the dispersed camping you can stand !!! From St. Johns, the 180 to the I-40 joining your proposed route...Not to worry...National Park admissions in April, I understand, are free! ... happy trails... carracar

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

There is no dispersed camping near Kitt Peak as it is surrounded by the Tohono O'Odham nation lands. There is dispersed camping in the Santa Catalina Mountains where Mt Lemon is located as well as reservable and first come first served camping.sites, but no other places near Tucson have dispersed camping.

Edited: 07 April 2013, 04:28
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

thanks everybody, I just booked a night at Paca de paja b&b , which is close to Kitt Peak. looking foward to the trip, getting some warmth and change of scenery from New England.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

Since you are headed to Flagstaff and interested in astronomy, assuming you know about Lowell Observatory but there is also the Naval Observatory …navy.mil/USNO/…visit-usnofs. Re: camping near Flagstaff--since you said you were looking for warmth, be aware average low temp in April at 7000 ft is 29 deg-- might be a better spot for your "in between" motel stays. The Weatherford Hotel and Monte Vista are both right in Flagstaff's charming downtown and have reasonable rates. Let me know if you have any specific questions about Jerome!

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

thanks Ghost town traveler, I do plan to visit Lowell, good point about night temps. I am looking foward to Jerome, booked a night at Mile High Inn, Jerome sounds like an interesting town.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,129 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

Re Carracar's suggestions. The area from Safford north is indeed scenic and beautiful, but as you would be at elevations ranging from 5000-8000 feet in the high country, nights will be below freezing.

9. Re: 10 day Arizona road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 05:17