We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rescue from Oak Creek Canyon

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Rescue from Oak Creek Canyon

I am not sure if this is a rare occurence, or happens quite often, but this was on Canadian news this morning>> http://goo.gl/tgdy5

Interesting to know how and why this story became nationally broadcast news.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rescue from Oak Creek Canyon

Amazing story ... But, uhm "an Arizona river gorge often compared to the nearby Grand Canyon" ??? Really??? Well, I guess you could also compare a dog to a kangaroo ...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,211 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rescue from Oak Creek Canyon

Obviously the story hit Canadian news because it involved a Canadian. Without criticizing the citizenry, it is clear from the article that this hiker made several stupid mistakes. These kinds of rescues occur more and more as people with little experience and common sense about hiking venture into the wilderness.

Fortunately, she is OK. Sadly, we lose a few every year around Sedona.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rescue from Oak Creek Canyon

We've hiked a lot from Junipine Resort, which is apparently where she started out from. She had to have gone rather far off the trail in order to get stuck on a ledge like that, which is why you're supposed to STAY ON the trails, especially if you're hiking alone. I have to wonder why she did that, as those trails are beautiful, just hiking normally; no need to go "rock climbing".

In answer to your question, I haven't heard of anyone having to be rescued from a ledge in that particular area, but sometimes people do have to be rescued, just because things happen, ankles get twisted, etc. There's a group called Ropes that Rescue that's a volunteer rescue group in and around Sedona; I'm guessing they were called out for this situation, too.

4. Re: Rescue from Oak Creek Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:17