We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips

Leaving for Scottsdale June 29-July 12 staying in cave Greek and trying to see as much as we can with out having to stay in other area, I don't mind staying 1 or 2 nights somewhere else ( Sedona ) I have been to arizona several times but usually on business so never was able to see to much, I think I am getting mixed up between phoenix and Tucson , I've been to both I can't remember if Route 66 is close to Scottsdale area or Tucson? I've been to sedona and would like to take my friend there and drive to the GC, is it best to drive straight to GC spend the day, day back to sedona spend the night and tour sedona, then maybe drive back through Prescott etc.... All suggestion welcome one of my concerns is this 30 day min rental everywhere, I know there are ways around it, should I worry about that?

Thanks j

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,842 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips

RT66 runs through northern AZ. Flagstaff would be the largest city and that's about half way between Sedona and the GCNP. 66 is no where near Tucson or Phoenix.

Driving to GCNP from Cave Creek will take close to 4 hours. Spend time there and then drive 2 hours back to Sedona for a few nights if you can. Prescott is an hour from Sedona.

What is it that you're trying to rent for less than 30 days?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips

It's a studio guest house on a ranch, I've heard only good things about it, we are staying at a friends house in cave creek, I use vrbo a lot and read several times that most zoning laws is min rental 30 days,also I remember Joshua tree? We also drove with our kids from Vancouver to Arizona maybe that's were I'm getting all confused( probably 12 years ago)

Edited: 28 May 2013, 19:46
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips

First, take a look at a map of Arizona, to get your bearings. Joshua Tree Nat'l Park is located in California, not Arizona, and I definitely wouldn't consider it a day trip. Since Arizona is so large, it's really better to have more than one "base" in order to see more of the state. Otherwise, you spend hours and hours driving back and forth.

Not all areas have a 30 day minimum rental; I believe you can rent for less than that in the Metro Phoenix area. Another consideration is the heat - you're coming during the hottest part of the year; it can easily be above 110 F every day. If I were you, I would limit the time spent near Phoenix or Tucson, and spend more time in Northern Arizona (Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon, Jerome, Prescott) where it's cooler, and perhaps also spend some time in the mountains of Eastern Arizona (Payson, Pinetop, Show Low, etc.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips

Thank you, we obviously went through JT, and rt66 when we drove from Vancouver to Arizona lol,

5. Re: Day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 06:17