We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

Hi All, Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong place. It regards a trip across states so I was a bit lostas to where to post.

I'm in the process of working out a route for an 18 day grand circle trip in May of next year. I've gotten quite far but there is one part that I keep coming back to. I plan on beginning in Phoenix and finishing in Las Vegas, taking in Grand Canyon, then working towards Southwest CO, then up to Moab, across to UT12, finishing with Bryce and Zion. The part that I am least convinced about at the moment is the leg between Grand Canyon South Rim and Southwest Colorado (likely Durango/Ouray area). I would like to see Monument Valley and there are some other things in the Page area, particularly antelope canyon that would be cool to get a look at. However, I'm not convinced about using a night in Monument Valley, both in terms of maximising time and the insane price of lodging there. Many posts I've read around here aren't particularly complimentary of Page either.

I'm looking for any ideas people may have for making the best of this portion of the circle without using up too much time that could be spend elsewhere. Would it be a pain to drive straight through from page to somewhere like cortez with a look at monument valley on the way? We like hiking, scenic drives, swimming and kayaking and are trying our best to avoid uncomfortable amounts of time driving boring roads. I'm just spitballing so any ideas are welcome, the more the merrier.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

To save on a probable one way rental fee Start from Las Vegas... Drive The "old Rt. 66" into Kingman- Seligman & on to the South Rim for sunset... From the Canyon, drive the 64/89/160 for a passing looksee at M. Vy. Also stop at Goosenecks SP. At Mexican Hat, continue on the 162/42/160 to Cortez-Mesa Verde... Spend a night in Durango, Drive the 550 up to Silverton & on to Ouray... At Ridgeway, turn on the scenic,62 to the 145(Telluride ?) & the 90/46/191 into Moab...Do the 12,Bryce & Zion on the back haul to Vegas ... carracar

Edited: 23 June 2013, 16:09
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

No need for drop off charges if you rent from an European broker between Az., Nv and Ca.

Page az was purposely built for the Glen Canyon Dam construction workers so is fairly new. Page surroundings are awesome. More than enough to see and to spend at least 2 nights.

Monument Valley is best at sunset and sunrise so I strongly suggest to spend one night there. Cortez is a bigger town and we have stayed there several times but we prefer to stay at Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde NP. Yes prices are high in Monument Valley but still suggest to stay one night at The View hotel and see the valley change from your balcony. You won't forget it.

1. Arr. Phx

2. Phx-Sedona

3. Sedona-Grand Canyon

4, GC (if you are hikers spend a full day there)

5. GC-Page

6. Page

7 . Page-Monument Valley

8. Monument Valley-Mesa Verde NP

9. MV/Durango, maybe the Durango-Silverton train ride

10. Us550 million dollar hw to Ouray and the route Carracar described to Moab.

11,12: Moab

13. Moab-Torrey (Capitol Reef NP)

14. Torrey-Bryce via www.scenicbyway12.com

15: Bryce-Zion

16. Zion

17. To Las Vegas

18. Las Vegas.

This trip has been done many times before and is certainly doable in 18 days.

If you need more info to finetune your trip just ask.

Happy planning.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,495 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

Monument Valley is best at dusk and dawn. It deserves an overnight. Pay the cost. You won't regret it.

Page really needs 2-3 nights but Tet's itinerary can work for you.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

I'd also give Page two nights and Monument Valley one night. If you stay for instance at the Wetherill Inn in Kayenta you need to drive 20 minutes to get inside MV, but a room there is not 'insane'. We paid 135 bucks for a night there last month. It's not as good as staying at Goulding's or even The View, but it IS cheaper and you can still enjoy sunup/-down at MV.. Staying there is definitely well worth a visit. I'd highly recommend the guided back country tour.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

on a budget-- Goulding's campground has 4 camper cabins. Simple-- no frills, but private bath, ac, etc-- little porch with a picnic table. Even a full (altho tiny) kitchen. $80 a night. If you do not want to pay the View or Goulding's Lodge prices... it's at least right there and way less pricey.

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I had somehow completely missed the cabins and casita's at Gouldings campground. The prices for those are much better. If we were to spend two nights in page I figure we could take it slow on the south rim road to bid farewell to the grand canyon, and then maybe see horseshoe bend on our way into page. We'd then have one full day there and possibly the following morning before heading for Monument Valley. What would y'all recommend we do with that time in page?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,495 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

Horseshoe Bend is at Page, not on the way. So is Antelope Canyon. Best one day raft trip in AZ is there too.

www.raftthecanyon.com

Book those Gouldings accommodations RIGHT NOW. There's only a few and they can book a year in advance.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

Also make a stop at Cameron Trading Post after leaving GC. Maybe for early lunch. Navajo taco's are famous there and the trading post has it all from cheap tourist stuff to great Navajo art.

9. Re: Grand circle help - Grand Canyon to Southwest Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 05:17