We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona travel planning help

Claremont California
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Arizona travel planning help

Hello I'm planning a trip for September of this year in the northern Arizona and southern Utah areas. I live in Southern California, so I will drive to Arizona and would like to see places like monument valley, antelope canyon, horseshoe bend, and the Grand Canyon. And in Utah Bryce Canyon and briefly, Zion national park before spending a few days in Las Vegas.

I know it is a lot to do and I hoped to have about 10 days overall. So what I was thinking was hitting Monument valley first as its the farthest away, then heading to Bryce Canyon, and finally the area around Zion. Now what I was thinking was going to the north rim of the Grand Canyon from southern Utah. Does anyone know a good place to stay where I can drive to Zion, Bryce, and the GC north rim?

And as far as monument valley I wish to take the drive around the place, I hear it is better with the tours. But I don't know if I want to go with a group of people. I have a midsole SUV but don't want to ruin the suspension. Also where would be a good place in Arizona to stay that would allow me to get there early enough to see things but also not stay there?

I could really use help as you see. I've never been to these areas apart from flagstaff.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizona travel planning help

Hi

It will be tough to get a reservation at NR. We have been trying that many years in a row but the only lodge there always is sold out sept/oct and if you want to enjoy NR or SR I suggest to stay at least one night.

Kanab is the place that will be most centrally located for NR, Bryce and Zion but I suggest to stay overnight in the parks like in Springdale for Zion and at one of the Ruby properties near Bryce. Both NPs also have a lodge inside the park. Driving in the dark in that area is not recommended because it's notorious for wildlife on the roads after dusk.

You also should book for MV asa possible. Only 2 lodges close to the Tribal Park. The View right in it and Goulding's Lodge on a very short istance. The road can be bumpy and sandy but we have driven it at least 3 times without problems but you are taking a risk, A MV tour is recommended and you'll get to places you can't come driving yourself.

Coming from SoCal you could visit SR first, to Monument Valley next, to Page (Antelope Canyons, Lake Powell, Horseshoe bend etc) and to Bryce and Zion after that.

Happy planning

Tet

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizona travel planning help

As Tet suggests, the lodging could be a bit difficult in spots, so the first thing you might want to do is check places for availability. That might determine your itinerary. If you do decide on the South Rim for GCNP, the website is www.grandcanyonlodges.com. If nothing seems to be available, call Xanterra directly. Cancellations occur but often don't make it back onto the website since people snap them up on the phone. If something shows up, in your budget, online I'd take it right away. It might not be there if you wait to think about it and then go back to book. You can always keep checking for something else and then cancel the first--I believe the cancellation policy is 48 hours. If nothing is available within the park for the South Rim, check in Tusayan, AZ, the small gateway town at the southern entrance to the park.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizona travel planning help

Phone # for cancellations at SR is 888 297 2757

Claremont California
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizona travel planning help

Thanks for the help! I believe after review I will stick to the southwest area of Utah. I am lucky in that I have family nearby the GC south rim so I may try this instead of the north.

One last question, for Zion, Bryce Canyon, and the Grand Canyon, I mainly expect to stay near my vehicle and do just a little hiking. Am I going to be able to 'get in and out' to a nearby hotel or even campground realistically? I have no idea about the drive and know the altitudes and road conditions maybe difficult.

Thanks again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizona travel planning help

Book your lodging or campsites right now. Otherwise, you could find yourself driving for hours away from your destinations, just to find a place to sleep.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizona travel planning help

Don't worry about the roads. They all are good.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizona travel planning help

In Zion, if you enter from the east, the drive down to the visitors center and the town of Springdale is jaw dropping. Once you get to the visitors center, you must take a shuttle bus. You can hop on and off as you please or just ride it around to get a better taste of the park if your time is limited. It will definitely make you want to come back. At Bryce, you can just drive the rim to the different viewpoints. There are good facilities at both parks.

Grand Canyon South rim you can also view a lot on the east part of the rim. Stop in the village area to walk around there and see the historic buildings. Shuttle only for the west drive.

The roads are good in all these areas.

8. Re: Arizona travel planning help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:17