We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiricahua National Monument

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic

We will be driving from Tombstone to Las Cruces as past of a fly/drive holiday to Arizona and New Mexico and are hoping to visit Chiricahua enroute. Is it possible to drive through the park from Arizona into New Mexico and if not, where would be the best entry/exit points to ensure we see the best sights.

Many thanks

Walnut Canyon National Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Canyons, National Parks
Monuments & Statues, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Rainbow Bridge National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Geologic Formations
Wupatki National Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Volcanoes
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiricahua National Monument

No, you cannot drive through the monument. The road dead ends, and there's only one road. It is possible to drive over the mountains, but I would not necessarily recommend this in a rental car if you're not familiar with Arizona forest roads. It's unpaved, mountainous, bumpy and often only wide enough for one car. It's also not passable in the winter due to snow (not sure when you're coming).

There is a national forest area with a few hiking trails and several campgrounds in a canyon on the eastern side of the Chiricahuas, but I think the monument is more interesting.

The monument would be a good stop along the way, and it's not absurdly far off of the highway. There is a short-cut, where you exit in Bowie and go south along an unpaved but fairly flat and wide road through Fort Bowie National Monument. www.nps.gov/fobo/planyourvisit/directions.htm

After the monument, consider visiting Cochise Stronghold, which is on US 191 south of I-10 and west of Willcox. It's very pretty and free to visit.

Cruces to Tucson typically takes 4-5 hours, so plan for a full day if you're stopping at Chiricahua National Monument.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiricahua National Monument

Consider lodging in Bisbee ... a nicer place to wander a bit ... The 191 to the 181 will get you to the entrance ... Be advised,that due to a major wild fire a few years back ...The only features largely unchanged are the rocks ... carracar

Edited: 12 August 2013, 15:05
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiricahua National Monument

we were in the Chiricahuas last fall. Hiked down in and saw a lot of blackened pines from the fire, but... it was still beautiful. The rock formations are something to see. At least take the road thru the road.

Cochise Stronghold was our favorite unexpected place on last fall's road trip. However-- we hiked the 3 miles up to the divide and back down. Not an easy "walk" at all! Don't think the op is interested in that. Also loved Fort Bowie, but again-- a mile and 1/2 hike into it (and then back) Our 2nd great surprise on the trip. Saw 3 gray wolves trotting across the landscape there. But I digress :)

Drive the Chiricahuas-- it's always a good thing to turn around and come back the same way. Everything looks different.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiricahua National Monument

Many thanks to you all for your input....have allowed a full day for the journey so the drive into Chiricahua seems to fit in perfectly as it will break the journey up nicely.

Wings 1980 - did you see the gray wolves in Chiricahua? That would be amazing.......

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiricahua National Monument

no. At Fort Bowie. And apparently it is a rare thing indeed. Talked to the ranger later and he was amazed that I saw them. I just wish I could've gotten my camera up in time. Ah, well...

6. Re: Chiricahua National Monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 06:19