We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning Advice

North Carolina
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Trip Planning Advice

Planning a trip Aug/Sept 2014....7 or 8 nights...arrive PHX from east coast mid morning and fly out of PHX back to east coast mid morning....renting a car. Would like to see Sedona, GC (both N and S rim), Bryce and/or Zion and scenery in between. This would be a "sightseeing" tour...not heavy on hiking.....only short hikess of a mile or less..either by car or park shuttle would be used to "see the sights".

My thinking is 2 nights each Sedona, South Rim, and North rim...1 night (1 1/2 days) Bryce/Zion...and probably the night before departure in Phoenix area. Is that realistic? Should I modify? What would be the best order to do this given the time frame?

Thanks in advance for the expert advice and guidance.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,725 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning Advice

You're pushing it by trying to include all of those places in so little time. Minimums I recommend are Sedona 3 nights, GCNP south rim 1 night, GCNP north rim 2 nights, Zion 2-3 nights, Bryce 1 night. Doing both rims at GCNP wastes a lot of your short time IMO. Page is another stop along the way that needs 2 nights.

Consider dropping Utah and the north rim to make your week less of a rush and more of a quality plan.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planning Advice

You can't make reservations for GCNP early enough. Only one lodge at NR. SR has more options. With 7 days at leisurely Page I also think Sedona, Grand Canyon and page will be enough. Maybe also add Monument Valley and leave Bryce and Zion for a next visit.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planning Advice

I would restrict it to Sedona, South Rim GC and Page - 2 nights each - and sights in between as otherwise all you'd be doing was driving around with short stops

North Carolina
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Thanks...RedRox, Tet, and Esty

Taking the advice and saving Brice/Zion for "another time"......but REALLy want to spend 2 nights @ North Rim......so looking at 3 nights Sedona, 2 nights each GC south and north.

Any recommendation on LAS vs PHX as a starting point?...in addition to the best order for stops to minimize "car time"...even though I know most of the car time is sightseeing time.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Once you're dead set on going to the north rim, flying into and ex Vegas makes more sense to avoid back tracking and extra mileage. besides, if tou wish you can then drive through Zion (not the main valley though) to whet your appetite for another trip there.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Trip plans coming together for last week August 2014...reservations secured: 2 nights El Tovar and 2 nights NR Pioneer-Rim......more than likely fly into Vegas...should be in rental car by 11AM...to Sedona.....stopping @ Hoover Dam.....if I take 7 hours(long day I know-but the destinations are worth it!!!)...should make Sedona by 6PM or earlier...3nights there..to SR then NR...return to Vegas from the north..."waving" to Zion as we go by....1 night Vegas before flight home.

i'll read up on Sedona...how critical are early reservations? I imagine not like the Parks or am I wrong.

Thanks again for the feedback

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,725 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Planning Advice

You are planning well in advance. That's good. Research where you want to stay and book it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Planning Advice

Keep an eye on Labor Day weekend so going to Sedona first looks good. Also make a stop for R66 in Seligman.

9. Re: Trip Planning Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:21