We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can this be done and seen in a day?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
can this be done and seen in a day?

Travelling from Las Vegas to Kachina Lodge, Grand Canyon Village. Check in isn't till after 4pm and we are there 2 nights. Then back to either LV or LA.

We are wanting to see some of Route 66 and after reading forums - have come up with this itinerary.

Las Vegas onto the 95 to Laughlin, then onto Oatman, then onto Kingman, Seligman then onto Williams and up to GC we go.

I don't think we'd make it to Peach Springs but that might be something on the way back.

Can we see the highlights of these towns and Route 66 in a day? If not - what can be done with Peach Springs on the way back?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,171 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

If you drive RT 66 from Kingman to Seligman you'll go right through Peach Springs. Don't blink though, and don't worry about stopping. When are you contemplating this trip? Days are getting shorter.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

Where do you plan to eat?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

trip will be 22nd nov. whats your day hours like then?

eating? - Mr Dz in Kingman or Delgadillos snow cap in Seligman or ? suggestions

google map tells me that Peach Springs is off the I40 about 37 miles away. No?

So Peach springs isnt really anything special to see or write home about?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,171 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

Peach Springs is on the old RT 66 between Hackberry and Seligman. Driving this 40 mile segment will add about 20-30 minutes verses using I-40. I just drove it 3 weeks ago. It's good road and a good way to get a taste of the old highway. The detour to Oatman on the other hand involves less well maintained mountainous road.

We ate at MrD'z and it's fun and good food. Delgadillo's in Seligman is a classic drive in style diner. For better food in Seligman Westside Lilo's is our favorite.

Leave LV early in the morning and you'll have plenty of daylight. Figure 2 hours driving from Seligman to GCNP and you'll be there with time to spare. Pay attention to weather forecasts though. Late November is early winter in northern AZ.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

The Road Kill is also pretty good in Seligman. In our opinion the best food in Kingman is at the El Palacio Mexican restaurant right on Route 66. It will be better than any thing you have tasted in Australia.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

I suggest giving Oatman a miss ... on the first leg... Drive the 93 (with a stop at Hoover Dam).Lunch in Kingman. Drive the "Old 66", pausing where the "roadside attraction" beckons, to a ice cream stop in Seligman. Upon leaving the South rim ... Should you plan a two day drive to LA in the I-40... put Oatman "in" here and overnight in Laughlan. Then, down the 95 to the 66 alignment West again,to the I-40 ... happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 30 August 2013, 06:08
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

Las Vegas via Oatman to Grand Canyon can be done in one day. Very little chance on snow at the low Sitgreaves pass east of Oatman but it's a narrow road. Also stop at Ed's Camp (private property so stay on the road) and Cool Springs, a restored gasstation and museum. Just start Las Vegas early and count on some 7 hours for this drive.

8. Re: can this be done and seen in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:18