We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Amsterdam...
4 posts
Save Topic
Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Hi guys! This november i've got six or seven days left after a staying a few weeks in Las Vegas. I am planning to do a road trip, travelling through the states of Arizona and New Mexico. I want to visit a few cities, a few not too big towns and want to get close to the mexican border. The more smaller the roads and more empty the surroundings the better.

I came up with the following route. Can this be done in six (or maybe seven days)? I do not mind sitting in the car for hours (and hours).

Day 1: Las Vegas - Grand Canyon

Day 2: Grand Canyon - Sedona - Phoenix

Day 3: Phoenix - Globe - Safford - Silver City - El Paso

Day 4: El Paso - Rosswell - Albuqurque

Day 5: Albuqurque - St Johns - Petrified Forest - Winslow

Day 6: Winslow - Meteor Crater - Las Vegas

I'm not entirely sure about Phoenix. Some describe it as the best city in the US. Others say I'd better trade Phoenix for Tucson. (See the schedule below).

Day 1: Vegas - Grand Canyon

Day 2: Grand Canyon - Sedona - Payson - Globe - Tucson

Day 3: Tucson - Safford - Silver City - El Paso

Day 4: El Paso - Rosswell - Albuqurque

Day 5: Albuqurque - St Johns - Petrified Forest - Winslow

Day 6: Winslow - Meteor Crater - Las Vegas

What are your thoughts? Are there do's or dont's? Am I missing the unmissable?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Stay over night in Sedona. You'll wish you had more time there.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,785 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

We'll all wave when you drive by. WAY too much driving, from morning to night every day. Seriously, you're not allowing any time anywhere to see and appreciate anything. Grand Canyon needs at least an overnight and most of 2 days. Sedona cannot be appreciated by driving through it, and needs at least 2 days. I would add Page to that, and then back to Las Vegas with possibly a stop at Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs.

I cannot imagine staying a few weeks in Las Vegas. Unless you are a serious gambler, 3 or 4 days is usually enough. Make it one week or less and you'll actually have time to see some other places.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

My thoughts exactly Bob. The road trip is little more than a total drive by. And weeks in LV? Unless you're on a work assignment there, that is way too long to be in that place. This road trip itineray needs 3 weeks, not one.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Yeah, Right! Way and way too much dear fellow countryman of mine. Why El Paso. Not only a detour but also not really a tourist city. And we found Roswell rather disappointing. If you want to make such a long detour visit White Sands NM instead. That's stunning. But I'd skip El Paso, Roswell and ABQ to begin with. Also St. John (nothing to see there either) is not on your way to Petrified Forest NP. Just follow I40 east. Maybe drive from Tucson via Globe, Salt River Canyon and Show Low to Petrified Forest for a visit but even then your time will be limited.

GC-Sedona-Payson-Globe (or Apache Trail) to Tucson hardly can be called a daytrip.

Tet

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Tet, I was hoping you would step in! :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

IF, a drive along the US-Mexico is central, to this proposal ... Yes, proceed to Silver City... Then South on the 90 to Lordsburg & the I-10 East to South on 146 to Hatchita... Turn East, on the 9 (with a stop in Columbus) to El Paso... The border fence is within sight of this road the entire drive... From El Paso,DO, visit White Sands and drive the 54 North, to the 380 West, at Carrizozo Then,continuing on the 60, to Springerville AZ. Join your proposed route ... carracar

Edited: 16 September 2013, 01:54
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Follow I40 WEST of course. Not east...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

No Tet ... East , it is to El Paso using either the 113 or 146 to the 9 ... Wes,t to the 338 to Animas works ... More miles however... Or do you have a map that only shows the 80 ? carracar

Edited: 16 September 2013, 08:46
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Tet's comment was correcting his own previous comment where he directed the poster to use I-40 east but, instead, should have typed I-40 west.

I agree with the Route 9 routing though via Columbus. That's a nice little road. It follows the old railroad line that ran from Bisbee to El Paso. It was a passenger train, so there's debris around the remnants of the line that are a bit off the road. I still have a large piece of broken early century dinnerware that I found there a few years ago while walking the old tracks.

Roswell will fail to charm and is too far out of the way. The Safford to Silver City route along AZ 76 is awesome though. One of my favorite roads in the state.

I choose the second route though. I choose Tucson.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arizona - New Mexico road trip.

Also read about Pancho Villa and Columbus. Nm9 is a nice route and you for sure will see border patrol. Some from NM don't recommend to drive this route but when we last did 2 years ago we had no problems there. We even walked into Mexico but that was much longer ago and I would not do this anymore.