We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route help required please .

NSW
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Route help required please .

How does this sound as a basic plan.....

Fri 28th March Pick up RV in LA & head to Palm Springs (arrive afternoon)( approx 2 hrs) stay Palm Springs ( un pack, do groceries etc etc)

Sat 29th - Full day & Palm Springs overnight again.

Sun 30th Head to Joshua Tree (1hr) spend afternoon, walks, views etc. stay Joshua Tree NP

Mon 31st - Head towards Grand Canyon - stops along Rt 66 Oatman, Kingman, etc stay overnight ???

Tues 1st April - Arrive Grand Canyon ( poss pm) (staying at Trailer Village)

Wed 2nd Spend day at Grand Canyon

Thurs 3rd - Depart Grand Canyon for 5 hr drive to Vegas ( staying Oasis RV Resort)

Fri 4th Vegas

Sat 5th Vegas

What do you think - we have a 31ft RV,which we are experienced in driving on the wrong (right;-) side of the road!

(have posted in california forum too!)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,692 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route help required please .

I wouldn't drive an RV on RT66 from Oatman to Kingman.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,610 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route help required please .

After JT. Continue on the 62 to Vidal Junction. Then North, on the 95 to the I-40. Find a MH park in Kingman & Next AM drive the "Old66" (with stops) to Seligman & on to the South Rim... I suggest you opt for a somewhat longer,but scenic,drive to Las Vegas ... driving North, on the 89/89a(with a stop at Lee's Ferry) up to Jacob Lake. Turn on the 389 at Fredonia to the I-15... Or consider a day at Zion NP !!! carracar

Edited: 18 September 2013, 03:00
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,586 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route help required please .

The mountainous part of the old R66 between Oatman and Kingman is not very suitable to a 31' RV. It's narrow and winding and not up to modern standards. I am experienced in driving vehicles that size, and would not drive there.

The rest of the plan seems sound.

Plan your dates for GCNP and make reservations in Trailer Village in the park.

grandcanyonlodges.com

NSW
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route help required please .

thanks for your input!

NSW
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route help required please .

will look into taking that route - thanks!

NSW
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route help required please .

will take your advice & look for alternative!

7. Re: Route help required please .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 06:20