We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon To Yuma

Perth
Level Contributor
142 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon To Yuma

Gday,

I know its a long drive but my wife and I will be travelling from the GC to Yuma early June next year. I will be taking only the day to get there then having 2 nights inYuma. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a preferred route and anything along the way that would be worth visiting, e.g. scenic landforms,canyons, etc.

Im aware of the long drive and time factor of stopping and visiting things but any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. As always the feedback on TA is Gold and I look forward to as much of it as possible.

Bonza

Westozman

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Drive South on the 180 to Flagstaff... Then, the 89a passing Sedona & Jerome into Prescott... If the day is yet young, continue in the 89 South down the "hill" following the 71/60 to Quartzsite & the 95 into Yuma... Why, do you feel Yuma is more interest than a one night motel stop ??? carracar

Edited: 30 September 2013, 15:53
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Carracar gave you most scenic drive for sure. Not the fastests, thats via Phx, hw85 and I8 west but if you have the time and don't mind a day in the car go for most scenic route. Also curious about the Yuma stay.

Perth
Level Contributor
142 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have taken note of the scenic route and look forward to travelling it. No real reason for the 2 night stop in Yuma, only the fact that we will be spending all day driving to get there and then driving back to LA, so just wanted a bit of break between the drives. I take it from your comments that we may be hard pressed to fill in our time there, so can you recommend anything that may be of interest or shall I pose that question in the Yuma forum. Again, thanks for your expert replies,

Bonza

westozman

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,626 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Yuma will be ghastly hot in June, and there is little to see there other than farms, the river and an old prison. If you are actually going to LA from GCNP, we can likely recommend some other alternatives better than Yuma. Perhaps you should even spend more time in Northern Arizona.

Perth
Level Contributor
142 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Thanks for that. This will be my 2nd trip to the GC. The last time we did indeed go north through Bryce and Zion canyons. Just awesome. We will be driving to the GC from LA via Death Valley so I figured that we may as well head South on our way back. This is our 3rd time in the USA and I'm in love with it and its people. You have a brilliant country. I guess we will just have to amuse ourselves and have a look around Yuma and get back to the pool. If its truly not worth it maybe you can suggest an alternate itinerary. Basically we leave GC on Sunday and fly out of LAX on Wednesday morning. I'm completely open to suggestions.

Bonza

westozman

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Palm Springs is the perfect place for relaxing but it also will be hot in june. Actually we're in PS right now and yesterday it was almost 100F. You can drive to PS in one day also and be closer to LA already and maybe do some shopping in the Cabazon outlet. On the way to PS you can drive via Joshua Tree NP and also see some stretches of R66 before.

Tet

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,090 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

Palm Springs is a resort destination, much nicer than Yuma, plus you can take the tram to the top of the mountain to get out of the heat.

www.pstramway.com

Yuma, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

It will be warm in early June, but hardly ghastly hot yet -- still more than tolerable in the shade even at midday, and at that time of year, it still cools down at night. Beside the Yuma Territorial Prison -- where Ben Wade was trying not to go in 3:10 to Yuma -- one of the hidden gems in the area is Castle Dome Mines Museum, which is an old mining "ghost town" that one guy and his wife have preserved and re-created. Totally noncommercial, surrounded by gorgeous scenery in the middle of a national wildlife refuge - check out the Trip Advisor reviews, Google it. You can chill out and go tubing on the river - with an extra tube for your beer. Nice little water park. Check out the Imperial Sand Dunes, where they filmed Return of the Jedi. Go to visityuma.com, there's a lot more in Yuma than people realize. Plus friendly folks and great food.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

I, too, recommend someplace other than Yuma. If you're going from the Grand Canyon to Los Angeles, Yuma is rather out of the way, anyhow. Have you been to Flagstaff and Sedona yet? A few days in Sedona, particularly up in Oak Creek Canyon where it's a bit cooler, would make a nice stop. Palm Springs would be good, too; the tram is always fun. And of course, you could always stop for a night or two in Phoenix/Scottsdale on your way back to LA. It will be hot in June, but there's a lot to do and see, and you can get great rates at some very nice resorts. Still, my top choices would be Flag, Sedona and Palm Springs.

Wherever you end up, have a fantastic vacation!

Edited: 02 October 2013, 02:17
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon To Yuma

If you follow carracar's most scenic route, I'd suggest one alteration. Don't take 71 in Congress to cut across to 60, but continue down 89 a few mikes to pass through Wickenburg, arguably one of the most genuine and translation western towns in the West. Get onto 60 west from downtown Wickenburg. This is only about 15-20 miles more than using 71. And seeing the old buildings of Congress is already worth it as well (as 71 turns off at the northern outskirts of Congress).

When you come down the hill from Yarnell look out for the green frog rock on your right just before Congress - a much photographed subject.