We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona wins!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,815 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Sedona wins!

During the distress that many folks are feeling over the shut down of our National Parks, including the Grand Canyon, I caught this story tonight on FNC. A couple who had planned their wedding for October 2nd at Shoshone Point were informed that they could not complete the event during the shut down. During the interview they expressed their obvious disappointment. When asked what arrangements, if any, they had made, they replied that they were going forward with the full event in Sedona!

This is not a unique case. I expect that Sedona will experience a huge boost during this unfortunate political stand off. It's only one of many viable options in northern AZ, but it will probably be the most popular. If you are contemplating making alternate plans and want to include Sedona, I suggest booking reservations as soon as possible.

I am personally witnessing a similar situation right now in Utah. We are in Kanab on our way to Escalante. The town is loaded tonight, purely as a result of Zion NP being closed. The restaurants are packed. The streets are alive. It will probably be a busy night in Sedona too.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
810 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedona wins!

All the state parks seem to be seeing more business than usual as well, and I guess so will the attractions n the Rez, such as Monument Valley or Canyon de Chelly.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedona wins!

Canyon de Chelly is a national park, and its visitors center is closed, but the private tours in the canyon are still operating. This may create too much confusion for visitors to handle, and they may just avoid the park. I'm sure the tour operators are fielding lots of calls asking if they're still operating. Same thing with Yosemite: you can still drive through it because Highway 120 is a state highway, but all of the park facilities are closed. But will a visitor, especially from a foreign country, understand that? Probably not, and they'll just avoid the park and make other plans.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,815 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedona wins!

Colin, it has been confirmed that Canyon de Chelly is still open for inner canyon native guided tours. However, the town of Chinle has limited accommodations, and there are reports of tours being over booked. The natives are capitalists too, so these situations are bound to come up. Choose your alternate destinations carefully, and be patient.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedona wins!

Right, the tours are operating. That's what I put in my last post on here. I was concerned the insinuation was that CdC is not a national park, which isn't true. Not sure if that was the intention, but that's how I read it. The way that park is operated is already confusing, and these events just make it moreso.

5. Re: Sedona wins!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:19