We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albuquerque to Phoenix

Palm Springs...
2 posts
Save Topic
Albuquerque to Phoenix

I am traveling from Albuquerque and Phoenix in February and hope someone has opinions on the best route. I have plenty of time and like adventure. If anyone can tell me the best route to see the more dramatic and exciting landscapes I would greatly appreciate it!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,495 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

Plenty of time for adventure? Like a week or more? The drive can be done in a full day. Any adventurous detours would require a half day to several days. So how much time do you really have?

Palm Springs...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

It's part of a trip from St. Louis to Palm Springs, CA. The St. Louis to Albuquerque trip is pretty straight forward and the Phoenix to Palm Springs routes is as well. I can easily spend 2-3 days on the Albuquerque -Phoenix section if it warrants.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,495 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

One night at the Grand Canyon NP and two at Sedona would be my choices to break up the drive.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,860 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

I'd add two nights in Santa Fe then a night in Albuquerque before Grand Canyon and Sedona.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

Or maybe an overnight stay at excellent La Posada hotel in Winslow. From ABQ take a detour via nm53 to El Malpais NM and El Morro NM and Zuni Pueblo to Gallup. Petrified Forest NP on your way before Winslow. With bad weather maybe consider to drive south on I25, visit White Sands NM and continue to Tucson (many attractions) before Phx. You even can bypass Phx by taking 85 north to I10 from I8. Or take I8 to Yuma and beyond Yuma 86 along Salton Sea to Palm Springs.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

There are many ways to do this leg of your trip. You could come down via Payson. Or, for added excitement you could take the road through Globe which will take you to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride down and out of the Salt River Canyon. But your most varied route would be via GCNP and Sedona with the "ghost town" of Jerome and Montezuma's Castle thrown into the mix.

I don't understand why there a few that always try to find ways to "bypass" Phoenix and the rest of the Valley of the Sun like they are some kind of horrible places. There are more scenic hiking trails, quality resorts and more attractions than any other place in the state. There are also more places to eat and drink and entertainment options than the entire rest of the state combined. Come and enjoy all that our state has to offer.

Happy Trails!!!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon and/or Sedona, then I think you should just visit those two places. I always take different routes to and from Albuquerque, and they're very pretty, but nothing really adds up to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. I-25 south to US 60 west is a nice route to take but, in February, you do risk hitting snow and ice in the mountains near Show Low. But that would take you by the Very Large Array, which is interesting to see.

You could also follow I-40 west (it's very pretty through much of western New Mexico), potentially visit the Acoma Pueblo, then head south on US 191 to St. John's, then take a short-cut on Arizona 61 west to reach US 60. It's a bit quicker than taking US 60 all the way, but you still get some very nice landscape.

8. Re: Albuquerque to Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19