We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

Helloo,

I'm in desperate need of advice-

I'm planning on doing a road trip from Vegas through Arizona during the last week of Feb. I wanted some pro advice from you guys on this itinerary, if it makes sense, if the weather is going to be cooperative and if we're staying at the right places for the right amount of time. And of course if we're missing anything I should hit-

Here's the map

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit…

but here is the itinerary:

Friday: Hoover Dam- Then Drive to Zion National Park spend the day/night there (weather issues?)

Saturday- Drive to Page, through Glen Canyon Dam, see Antelope Canyon, Possibly spend the night there

Sunday- Drive to Monument Valley, then Four Corners then through Grand Canyon East? (is that good enough for Grand Canyon visit?) Then to Sedona

Sunday- Tuesday : Sedona, hiking, exploring

Tuesday- Friday: Scottsdale for those days exploring

Is this too much? and are we spending too much time or too little time at certain spots?

My main concerns are the weather at Zion and at Grand Canyon- And if we're trying to cram too much into some days

I really appreciate ANY help or advice- Seriously going in blank here-

Thanks-

Walnut Canyon National Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, Canyons, National Parks
Wupatki National Monument
Historic Sites, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Volcanoes
Petrified Forest National Park
Deserts, National Parks, Parks
Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument
Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Volcanoes
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

>> Is this too much?

YES. You're proposing to see Hoover Dam, Zion NP, Page, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and Sedona in 5 days. Way too much. It looks like you have a week, traveling from Las Vegas to Phoenix? (Your map link did not work for me.)

Zion needs at least a full day, preferably two, imo. Hoover Dam isn't on the way, so by the you get there, you're not going to have a "day" to spend there. I would add an extra night.

One night in Page.

Continue to the South Rim. There's no such thing as "Grand Canyon East", but I'm assuming you mean driving into the Park through the east gate. You need at least one night at the South Rim. Book a lodge in the Park at www.grandcanyonlodges.com. They have several winter lodge specials going on right now.

I think this puts you in Sedona on Tuesday. I think you want two nights at least. Leaves you with one night in Scottsdale.

IF Scottsdale is a priority, then cut out the Utah portion -- Las Vegas to Grand Canyon (South Rim) via Hoover Dam, Sedona and Scottsdale.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

Have you checked drop off charges for the rentalcar between Las Vegas and Phoenix? With your limited time I'd skip Hoover Dam (unless you drive back to Vegas) and visit Glen Canyon Dam in Page. Scottsdale back to Vegas is a 5 hours drive.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,696 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

Way too much. Virtually impossible to drive and surely no quality time at the destinations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

Wow, totally nuts. Re-reading my initial post is kinda insane- I was definitely over ambitious on the initial planning- was just like a kid in a candy store researching the amazing things to do in the region. Totally new to it so I appreciate the help-

Crossing a lot of the itinerary- going to head to straight to Zion for a day ( Just have two questions, recommend staying at the Lodge or the Ranch? and Is driving to Bryce in the AM for a day trip doable? Then from Bryce drive to Page for a night-

Then to Canyon, then sedona then scotts- Seriously appreciate the help, been reading so much about these amazing places and have probably read everything RedRox has posted, so thanks for replying!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,696 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

Holy cr*p! You've read everything I've posted? JK;-)

Stay in Springdale for Zion. More services and absolutely convenient to the park. You're starting to push it again by trying to do Bryce and Page in the same day. Yes, you can drive it all, but you won't see or experience much of anything by rushing. These places deserve time. And you're not giving them enough. If a drive by is all you want to do, then stick with the plan, but understand when you get home and tell your friends where you went, they'll ask you, "Did you go here? Did you do this?" And you'll have no idea what they're talking about. Only then will you start to realize what you missed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

totally understand, wise words- I just wish I could have more time up there, you're right- Thanks again!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,696 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

If you've read that many of my posts, then you know that I often say 'Less is more'. What that means is that it's better to have quality time at fewer places, than to have no quality of time at a bunch of places.

If you do it correctly, you'll be anxious to return and stay longer next time and explore a few more spots. If you blow through every place, you'll have no idea what you missed, and you'll wonder what is the appeal.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

Will you every be back to the area? I also hate blowing through places (and my wife loathes it), but I also understand wanting to see as much as you can, and not give up someplace you really want to see if you may not be back. It's subjective and I don't think there's any "one size fits all" strategy.

I agree on dropping Hoover Dam. I think Bryce is much more scenic than Monument Valley, but it's also much higher, and some services (and maybe some roads) could be closed in Feb. The lodge is closed, for example. I'd probably drop Bryce or MV, opting for the latter if weather and highway reports are at all discouraging. I'd skip Four Corners unless you really want to see the spot where four states meet.

Why so much time in Scottsdale? It apparently has nice scenery, and we will be there in late Feb. for a few days, though for a conference, but I'd spend more time at the other places. In Zion, you can often find lower cost accommodations in Springdale than at the lodge in the park, but we rather liked the lodge for the quiet and solitude, especially after people have returned to hotels in Springdale (and in the morning before they arrive). Just something to consider.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 18:30
9. Re: Arizona Road trip during Last Week in February Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:30