We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Northern Arizona

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
154 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Northern Arizona

Hi all, we'll be spending some days in northern Arizona at the beginning of April, and I would like to ask for suggestions on how to plan the trip.

We'll leave Las Vegas on 1st of April and I was thinking about staying three days in Page (as base for visiting Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon) and three days in Flagstaff (as base for visiting the Grand Canyon and taking the Verde Canyon Railway). We would also like to visit the Canyon de Chelly, but I'm not sure we can get there easily from Page.

Anyway, we'll have a car and we are flexible to extend or reduce the stays in Page and Flagstaff. In the end we have up to 8 days to spend hanging around there. so these are the questions:

Can someone please advise if our plan is reasonable and doesn't miss anything important?

Should we extend our stay in Page, or in Flagstaff, or both to add sights and places we don't have absolutely to miss?

What about the travel times? Is it possible to visit the Canyon de Chelly departing from Page? Our idea is to leave Page in the very early morning on the last day, driving to Chinle to visit the Canyon de Chellly, and then driving back to Flagstaff. Google Maps says three hours from Page to Chinle, and three hours from Chinle to Flagstaff, but to my experience in other countries, the real travel times are always 30% longer than what Google Maps calculates, even by driving at the maximum allowed speed and without stops.

Any other suggestions?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,842 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Northern Arizona

Using towns like Page and Flag as bases is a lousy idea in itself. Commuting back and forth is a waste of time and you lose the opportunity to experience sunset and sunrise at the destinations.

Plan instead, 2-3 nights at Page, 1 night at Monument Valley (The View or Gouldings), 1 night at the Grand Canyon National Park and 2-3 nights at Sedona, 3 if the Verde Canyon RR is a must.

Stay inside the park at the GCNP. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Chinle needs an overnight for Canyon de Chelly since inner canyon tours take a half day. Touring the rims requires several hours as well. Otherwise you're just detouring way out on the Reservation.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Northern Arizona

Page to Monument Valley is 2.5 hours drive and 2.5 hours back and you don't want to drive in the dark on those deserted and dark roads so you'll miss sunset/sunrise and stargazing at MV. I'd do as RedRox suggests

Make a reservation for The View or Gouldings Lodge..

3. Re: 8 days in Northern Arizona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:18