We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Check

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Check

Day 1 - Arrive at Grand Canyon early afternoon. Settle in, go for a walk, eat dinner.

**QUESTION: Where in the village can one get a decent meal without reservations?

Day 2 - Hike throughout day - Rim Trail.

**QUESTION: Weather pending, I'd love to see the grand canyon at night. See the stars and maybe indulge in some night photography. Any tips on being around GCNP at night?

Day 3 - Hike throughout day - Partway into canyon. Dinner at El Tovar Dining Room & Lounge. (reservations made)

Day 4 - Drive to Page, AZ. Mid-day smooth-water raft tour. Photograph Horseshoe Bend at sunset.

Day 5 - Visit Lone Rock Beach -- maybe have breakfast out there. Mid-day photography tour of Waterholes Canyon. Visit the Great Wall.

**QUESTION: Any recommendations of places to eat in Page AZ for Dinner?

Day 6 - Drive to Tucson. Take a scenic drive of Sedona. Possibly try to hit one trail at Red Rock State Park? Arrive in Tucson in evening. (Not entirely sure if this day is realistic. I'd like to do a trail, but who wants to do that in the middle of all that driving? Would love to hear of any alternatives for the area.)

Day 7 - Visit Santa Catalina Mountains. Need to pick a morning trail hike. OR visit 4th Avenue Street Fair. (Any locals who have visited this fair think it's worth it for an out of towner? I may be burnt out with hiking at this point.) Spend evening at an observatory. Nerd out. :)

fourthavenue.org/fairs/…

Day 8 - Visit Saguaro National Park. **May need more to do this day! Any recommendations?**

Day 9 - **Personal day** Drive back home.

**QUESTION: Recommendations for dinner in Tucson? Apparently, all I care about is food. Hah! We are staying just south of Old Tucson Studios.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Check

For the Tucson stay try the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. You can visit Saguaro West after that; they're just down the road from each other. Me, I'd skip the hike in the Santa Catalinas.

You do realize you're spending an awful lot of time in your car, right?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Check

Horseshoe bend at sunset means the bend in the shade and the sun in your eyes. Better to go in the morning. Places to eat in Page like at Bonkers, the mexican restaurant or Dam Bar and Grille. Lunch in Page at Stromboli's Don't get stuck at Lone Rock beach.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,855 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Check

For sunset Wahweap Overlook is a better choice.

There is a floating restaurant at Antelope Point.

http://antelopepointlakepowell.com/dining/

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
662 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Check

Question 1: probably go to Maswik's cafeteria. Lots of options, casual. We had the pizza place, it was decent pizza.

Question 2: Maybe it's because I've been in the city too long... But the Grand Canyon is real dark at night. We enjoyed being at one of the outlooks at sunset and walking back in the dark. But I was very glad we had headlamps and flashlights. I suppose it depends on the cloud cover and where the moon is- perhaps you'll have more moonlight. It's beautiful and romantic (bonus!)

I'm no Tucson expert. I just love the Eegee's frozen drink things... you should get one. delish and refreshing

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Check

Thanks for all the great info! I'm now looking into a 1-night stay in Sedona on our way down to Tucson. A little break from driving would be nice and seeing more of Red Rock State Park would be ideal!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Check

Where are you staying "just south of Old Tucson?" At a B&B? Do you realize that there is a mountain range, the Tucson Mountains, between there and anything that you want to do, or eat? This is going to be very limiting for doing anything in Tucson except the Desert Museum and Saguaro NP West. From there it will take 2 hours to drive up Mount Lemmon. There is an observatory program up there at night, however that would make a very long day. You would not want to drive down and back up. There is one place for dinner in the town of Summerhaven.

…arizona.edu/programs/public/skynights

The street fair is worth it, but it is only two weekends, March 21-23 and then in December.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 20:17
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Check

In Tucson, I would guess you are staying at Cat Mountain Lodge? If so, Coyote Pause Cafe right there is OK. A little way down Kinney Road towards Ajo Way is a great little Mexican Restaurant, Los Nopales. If you want to eat in Tucson, El Charro downtown for Mexican, El Corral for steaks.

At the GC, the Arizona Room is just a step down in quality from El Tovar, no reservations. Also the Bright Angel Restaurant, a couple of steps up from Denny's, also no reservations. Both are in Bright Angel Lodge, right on the rim.

In Page, Bonkers is actually an Italian restaurant. We didn't eat there, though. We ate at Stromboli's, which we thought was very good and the Dam Bar & Grill, which was pretty good for casual food.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 20:20
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Check

Yup! Cat Mountain Lodge is right. I wanted to do the observatory night at Mt. Lemmon, but the trek across the city and up the mountain didn't sound too appealing. (I think by then I'll have had enough of driving no matter what my husband says.) In fact, Desert Museum and Saguaro NP West. was exactly what we wanted to do in Tucson, anyway. I may cut off a day in Tucson if we can do those two things in one day... then we can stay overnight in Sedona.

I know Cat Mountain Lodge has their own, small, observatory. Convenient at a price. I heard something about an observatory at the university too. I think Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium and it's a donation based visit if you call ahead?

Thanks for all the info on places to eat. :) Will note each one.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Check

Since you will be west of Tucson, Kitt Peak would be much closer for you than Mt. Lemmon.

You can easily do the Desert Museum and SNP West in much less than a full day. Afterwards maybe go visit San Xavier del Bac Mission. Good Mexican restaurant on the way is Karichimaka

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Check

Thanks again!

Definitely breaking up the Page-> Tucson drive with an overnight stay in Sedona. More time to check out the state park that way and enjoy the trails longer.

Yes, this trip is going to have an insane amount of driving.