We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dana Point to Grand Canyon

england
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Dana Point to Grand Canyon

We are travelling from Dana point to Grand Canyon and the journey time seems to be 7.5 hours

We would like to stop somewhere after say 3 hours but don't know where and then travel again for a couple of hours and stay the night (again any advice?). The following morning we would leave and then just have a couple of hours to reach Grand Canyon.. ...any advice?!

many thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,469 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

2.5-3 hours could put you in Palm Springs. I wouldn't necessarily want to spend a lot of time there in the summer though, so it depends on when you'll be doing this. If you go through Palm Springs, then you can continue north to Twentynine Palms, then take Amboy Road (sealed) north to the old Route 66, called National Trails Highway there. That will take you to I-40. This is a more pleasant and more scenic drive than the quicker I-15 to I-40 route.

Another option, if you opt for the I-15 to I-40 route, you could stop at the old Kelso Depot, which is a few miles north of I-40. You'll have to check your dates against those of the little cafe, but you can read about that here: nps.gov/moja/historyculture/kelso-depot.htm

Either way, I would suggest you stay in Laughlin. It's a little out of the way, but it's more interesting and has better hotels than both Needles and Kingman. That would put you quite a ways from the Grand Canyon still (~3.5 hours), but it's either that or drive all the way to Williams. There's very little between Kingman and Williams.

Hope that helps.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,586 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

7.5 hours may be a bit optimistic depending on LA traffic. If your intent is to get to GCNP in least time, use I-15 to I-40. Stop in Barstow for food and rest. Overnight in Kingman, which will still be 3 hours to GCNP, but nothing closer except Seligman or Williams.

The best lodging for GCNP is in the park in a "lodge." If no availability for your dates, make a backup reservation in Tusayan just outside the park that you cancel without penalty and call the lodging concessionaire Xanterra frequently as there are always cancellations.

888-297-2757

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

From Dana Point to GC, I-15 to I-40 is definitely fastest. Stop in Barstow. Then take I-40 (the option to see the Kelso Depot is good, but you will backtrack on Kelbaker Road to I-40. If you like trains it will be worth it)Unfortunately the Beanery Cafe at the depot closed a few months ago.Museum is there.

Then stay in Laughlin or Kingman. If you stay in Laughlin, rooms are cheap, right on the river.In the morning you could do Laughlin to Kingman via Oatman and Sitgreaves Pass.

Or stay in Kingman.

Depending on when you leave in the morning, the drive from Dana Point to Palm Springs is about 2 hours.

If you wanted an activity, the PS tram to the top of the mountain is nice.

www.pstramway.com

Another option is to head to Joshua Tree then do the north loop of the park and exit Utah Trail Street. Utah Trail runs into Amboy Road and the nice route Colinaz mentioned.

Or you can take hwy 62 to Vidal Junction and run up 95 on the California side to I-40.

Or take 62 to Parker and drive over the dam and take the 95 in Arizona and stay in Lake Havasu, home of the London Bridge. Then take I-40 to the GC.

Definitely stay in the park at the GC.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,586 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

When responding to a foreign visitor, I try to give the most simple answer. At least say, here is an alternate route, as regards taking I-10 to Palm Springs and other alternatives. Otherwise our responses become confusing to them.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 23:41
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

I'd count on at least one hour longer fastest way and hopefully LA traffic will cooperate. Kingman is the most logical place for an overnight stay. East of Barstow you'll find Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs. That's a great stop before Kingman.

england
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

Thank you all....what does this sound like?

Dana Point to Barstow...pit stop and walk around...is there much to see?

Or Tet14 suggests Baghdad Cafe in Newberry Springs...would this be better than Barstow?

Barstow to Mojave national park...again pit stop and walk around...is there a visitors centre?

Mojave to Kingman and stay the night

Next day travel to GCNP

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

There is a R-66 museum in Barstow and plenty of fast food places.

Newberry Springs is not too far from Barstow if you want to stop by Bagdad Cafe.

From I-40/Kelbaker Road to the Kelso Depot/visitor center/museum is about 20 miles.Sand dunes to see off a short gravel road. You will need to back track to I-40. See the mile long trains.

www.nps.gov/moja

Edited: 12 March 2014, 20:27
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

Barstow R-66 museum

http://www.route66museum.org/

Note the Kelso visitor center is closed on Wed-Thurs.

Bagdad Cafe info.

http://www.therealbagdadcafe.com/index.html

Maybe try Capt Daves Dolphin/whale safari while in Dana Point.

www.dolphinsafari.com

9. Re: Dana Point to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28