We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

My family of 4 (children ages 3 and 7) are hoping to take our first trip to AZ this summer. My sister and her husband will be joining us and they do not have children. My sister and her husband definitely want upscale accommodations and are foodies and can be very particular, but we would like something with activities for the children. Ideally we would like to spend part of the time relaxing at the resort and part of the time seeing a few sites. Any suggestions for resorts that would meet our differing needs?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,176 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

If you can tolerate the heat, then you'll find smoking deals at most of the upscale resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale region as well as Tucson. But off site activities will need to happen in the early mornings. After that, temperatures soar and pools and AC are a must.

Northern Arizona and higher elevations like Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, Page and the White Mountains are where most folks head in the summer time.

Before we start throwing names of resorts and eateries at you, give us a time frame and budget. Or do a little research on these areas and tell us what looks appealing to you.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

There are plenty of very nice resorts that also cater to families. The most upscale would be the Four Seasons in North Scottsdale; they have excellent service, beautiful rooms, and a fun kids' program. Also look at the Westin Kierland Resort, the JW Marriott Desert Ridge, the Hyatt Gainey Ranch, and the Camelback Inn. Read the Top Questions on the Scottsdale forum for more info.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 20:07
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat. Use the same commmon sense you do at home and you should be just fine. There really is a difference between the "dry" (i.e., no humidity) heat, and the sticky summers you endure.

Nearly all the quality resorts have something for the kids. I would add the Arizona Biltmore to the list with it's giant water slide and the best restaurant in the city. In addition, there are all kinds of shops and cafes and restaurants half a mile away at the Biltmore Fashion Park. In addition, there is an AMC multi-plex just across the street if the kids get antsy staying in out of the noon day sun.

The only two I can think of that probably aren't really geared for kids would be the Royal Palms and the Hermosa Inn. Just about all the rest will have something for the kids but only a few will have really fine dining on the grounds and/or close by.

Happy Trails!!!

Edited: 25 April 2014, 20:42
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

Thanks everyone! I live in a very hot, humid climate so am used to 90+ temperatures with full humidity. I know the heat is more there, but the dry heat is more tolerable to me I think! Budget-wise we would like to stick to under $400 a night per room if possible but may have some room there depending on what airfare turns out to be. I had not thought about the other cities being a better climate in the summer so will look into that as well.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

For $400 per night in the summer, you can pretty much have your pick of any resort in the Valley. Most of the resorts also offer summer package deals that include things like breakfast or a resort credit good for any meal, or "stay 3 nights, get one free", etc. If you want relaxation and an upscale resort, then I definitely recommend the Four Seasons. You might try to get one of their suites, that way you can have a little extra room, and the kids can nap if need be, while you're in the separate living room.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 21:32
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

With the exception of Tucson, the other "cities" are towns, some no more than 10,000 people. You won't find the dining options in any of them to compare with the more than 6,000 in all types and price ranges you will find in the Valley of the Sun. In addition, there are many, many more entertainment options in the valley. The Four Seasons is very nice, as are all of them all over the world, but this one is a little remote from all the other things you may want to do, see, eat and drink. I recently saw one of the summer deals at the Biltmore for around $250 a room with a lot of goodies thrown in. Do a little shopping at the five stars and you should find a deal that works for all your needs. I would call the Concierge at the ones that interest you to get in on tthe unpublished summer deals.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 22:00
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,176 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

No one, even foodies, ever complains about a shortage of dining options in Prescott, Sedona and Flagstaff. 6,000 restaurants is probably a few more than average travelers, even foodies, will need to choose from.

The OP's budget will allow them to choose from just about any resort destination in northern AZ, except maybe Amangiri.

Take a look at Enchantment and L'Auberge at Sedona. This location would have you much closer to the Grand Canyon NP. That is a place that should be on the list for any first time visitor to Arizona.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

Thank you all! Great advice. This all gives me some good starting points.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,086 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

Don't see anything at the Biltmore about kids programs. Yes, they have a tall slide but that seems about all and not appropriate for kids this young. The Westin Kierland, Four Seasons and Desert Ridge specifically have kids programs.

10. Re: Suggestions for family friendly resorts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 05:16