We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

We will be visiting the GC, Page, and Sedona during our upcoming trip to Arizona. I am trying to get my plans in order and was thinking that on the way from Page to Sedona we may stop by Sunset Crater, Wupatki, and the Cameron Trading Post. How far out of the way are these places and is it realistic to visit them all? I know the drive time is about 3 hours from Page to Sedona. We were thinking about doing the Colorado River Raft Half day trip from 7:30 am - 11:30 am and then leaving for Sedona right after (although this plan is not set as we may do the raft trip the day before). Would this allow us enough time to visit these places? We have nothing planned in Sedona for that day so it would basically be just a travel day.

If not then, would we be passing any of these places on our way from the GC to Page? If so, we could possibly stop by then.

Thanks for the help!

Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

Personally....... stop by at Cameron TP, but pass on Wupatki and Sunset, didn't really do it for me

Try Walnut Canyon instead, pretty cool.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,982 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I would say that Wupatki and Sunset Crater are very much worth a visit. How much time needed depends on h ow much you want to explore. The ruins are fascinating as is the blow hole. There is a very nice, small visitors center there and you can walk the short distance and really get up close and personal. We didnt spend as m uch time at Sunset Crater but very interesting. I would say 2 - 3 hours including driving time.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

We stopped at Sunset Crater and Wuptaki when driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. We really enjoyed our time here. We did the short walk through the lava field (my daughter at the time was very interested in volcanoes and really liked this part), stopped at the visitor centers, and visited two different ruins. We were pleasantly surprised we could go in the ruins. We were there maybe 2-3 hours and it was neat for both the geological and human history of the area.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

The estimate of 2-3 hours is accurate. If you have time, definitely take the walk through the lava field. Stop at the Cameron Trading Post for lunch. Order the mini Navajo Taco, more than enough for most people.

You will pass right by the road that goes to Wupatki and Sunset Crater between Cameron and Flagstaff, so the only "detour" is the road that goes right to these places.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

We also enjoyed Wupatki and Sunset Crater--you can spend as much or as little time there as you want. We walked through the lava field and then spent just a short time at Wupatki. IMO it's definitely worth the time; our visit did not last 2-3 hours but for us it was enough. I'm glad we did the drive and the stops we made. Also, during your drive along the loop road, there are a couple of pull out places with overlooks where you can see the Painted Desert.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

From GC to Page.....as you exit GC via the east gate/road, you will turn north on Hwy 89. In 1.5 miles will be Cameron Trading Post on the left side of Hwy 89.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

We always take the loop via Wupatki and Sunset Crater instead following us89 and it's a nice drive and great views on Paited desert also but if you don't go hiking at the lava fields it won't take 2-3 hours as TxOfWeGo already said.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

Thanks for all of the replies! It definitely sounds like a stop would be worth it for us. Not sure when we will be out that way again. Maybe to mix it up we will stop by one of the places on the way to Page and the other two on the way to Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,029 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

Cameron TP is on the way from Grand Canyon National Park to Page. Wupatki/Sunset Crater would be a detour. Do W/SC on the return to Sedona. But be advised if you do the raft trip in the morning, it will make for a rather long day.

If you're traveling between Memorial Day and July 4th you'll need to bypass Oak Creek Canyon and use I-17 to 179 to get to Sedona. From the exit of SC on 89 you'll need close to 90 minutes. You want to be sure and arrive at Sedona prior to sunset.

10. Re: Stopping by Sunset Crater & Wupatki on way to Sedona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:17