We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Newborn - Average Temperature Northern Arizon

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with Newborn - Average Temperature Northern Arizon

Due to a death in the family, we are making plans to travel from Salt Lake City to Phoenix the second week of June for a memorial service. We will be traveling with an eight week old baby, and 2, 7, and 8-year-old children. Normally we wouldn't be traveling with the baby so young to such a hot temperament but it's something that we have to do. And as it's a drive that we can't do straight through because we'll have to nurse the baby every 2-4 hours and because we've never seen the grand canyon we decided to go ahead and make a vacation of the drive taking our time to get there.

Our itinerary: One night in Kanab UT (with stop at Cedar Breaks & Animal Sanctuary), one night North rim (scored a Western Cabin!), one night South Rim, two nights Sedona, four nights in Phoenix (with family) and two nights to get back home (we'll play those by ear - likely through Vegas).

I am expecting extremely high temperature while in Phoenix and we'll be indoors to keep the baby out of the heat. I was thinking that our other stops would also be extremely hot but was surprised when looking at average temperatures that highs in June at Grand Canyon (North rim cooler) and Sedona are in the 80's to 90's. While I'll consult with the pediatrician on heat safety for the baby (she's tiny - not even 8 pounds yet) I wanted to get an idea of what I can reasonably expect. I understand that a heat wave can come through and throw those temps up to the 100's. Daytime and evening temperatures for North and South Rims and Sedona? Will it get chilly enough in the evening (north rim?) to warrant a light jacket or is that overpacking?

Thank you so much for your insight from those who are familiar with the region! So appreciated.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,214 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with Newborn - Average Temperature Northern Arizon

A light jacket for evenings at both north and south rims is advisable. Sedona will drop down into the 50-60 range. Phoenix is the only place where extreme heat will be an issue. Stay hydrated and carry water with you at all times.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with Newborn - Average Temperature Northern Arizon

Just keep an eye on the closure of hw 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona because it's closed between Memorial Day and 4th of july so you'll have to drive I17 and 179 (not an ordeal ...)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with Newborn - Average Temperature Northern Arizon

Thanks RedRox. That makes me feel a little bit better.

I happened to come across that road closure info somewhere in my research Tet14. Thanks for watching out for me!

4. Re: Traveling with Newborn - Average Temperature Northern Arizon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 07:16