We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

We have time to do both or just one while in AZ for the week. Is one better than the other? Are to different enough to do both? Will be traveling with a 8 and 6 year old. looking for wild west type adventures

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

You are asking us to assess the relative "cheese" factor of these wild west recreations. Neither is cheesier than the other and the kids will love either or both.

Happy Trails!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,722 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

Blazin M has a bit of cheese, but the entertainers at the dinner show include Country & Western Hall of Fame musicians and the theater is top notch, perhaps even too sophisticated at moments for 6-8 years olds. But over all, a top quality show.

It's not about a fake shoot out. Rather a combination of authentic old west charm along with modern interpretations of the myths created by Hollywood. If you go, don't be surprised if you want to rush over to the General Store and buy a CD or two. These guys and gals are really good.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

Families with little kids don't go for the adult dinner show. They go for the shoot out, chicken drop and the mac and cheese plate for the kids and cowboy steak and beans for the folks. Both places are almost identical in those respects, and if the kids love Rawhide you might have to bite the bullet and take them again once you get to Cottonwood. This is not some ethereal Hollywood experience. It's a bunch of people putting on a western recreation. Plain and simple.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 03:37
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

We preferred Blazn M Ranch over Rawhide. Very family oriented and so much fun.

United States
Level Contributor
202 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

We just returned from Arizona and did the Blazin M Ranch. We had a really good time, but the show was a little different than I expected. It is all music with a bit of comedy. I was under the impression that there would be a cowboy shoot-out but there wasn't. I am sure this is my fault as I must not have read the website correctly. We traveled with our two children ages 12 and 8 and I think they got a little bored with the music at times. My husband and I on the other hand really enjoyed it and the musicians were wonderful! RedRox is right that it includes Country and Western Hall of Fame musicians. The highlight of the show for the kids was the last song where a ghost on a horse ran around outside the barn during the last song. Although I say the kids got a little bored with the show, I would definately recommend it. There is lots to do before the dinner walking around the western town. The kids had a blast there! Besides that, the food was great and it was lots of fun! I would definately return and I think my kids would say the same.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

Look at Goldfield and see if it meets your desires.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

I usually recommend Goldfield as well. We take a lot of people there and continue on to Tortilla Flat. We have not cared for Rawhide since it moved from Scottsdale and Goldfield is a better location for us. Goldfield only has shootouts fall through early spring and the original poster (OP) has not said where they are staying or given any idea of their itinerary to see what would be best for them location wise.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

Thanks everyone!!!

9. Re: Rawhide in Phoenix VS. Blazin M Ranch in Cottonwood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16