We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verde Canyon Railroad

Brooklyn, NY
8 posts
Save Topic
Verde Canyon Railroad

Anyone been on the Verde Canyon Railroad? Whould the Grand Canyon Railroad be a better choice. Considering staying in either Clarksdale or Jerome vs. Sedona. Recommendations for places to stay would be appreciated

Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
637 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad

Different Kathie here but I'm seeking the same information and thought I'd bump this up! The Grand Canyon RR looks better then Verde but would like to hear opinions.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad

Verde Canyon Railroad is awesome. Have been on Grand Canyon Railroad also. HIGHLY recommend Verde over GC railroad. Verde Canyon trip is through red rock mountains with streams, grassy areas with eagles soaring overhead. Even had live musical artist on the train playing Native-American pipe music. Wonderful!!

We stayed in Sedona at Poco Diablo Resort, nice place, reasonably priced, nice grounds.

Recommend going before mid May, after that it really starts to get hot.

3. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2017, 05:00
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad

I live in Arizona and they are two entirely different experiences. The Verde Canyon Railroad is for the railroad experience. It is breathtaking beauty of the Verde Valley. We went coach class as we took a 5 year old but there is also first class. We had seats on an indoor car and then each car has it's own open air car. It was fantastic standing outside. You travel through the beautiful Verde Valley, where we even saw baby Eagles - be sure to bring your binoculars for a closeup view. The train goes about two hours, stops and stays a bit at the end where we had ice cream and then turns around. We all enjoyed the trip both ways and kept seeing new things.

We stayed in Flagstaff and then went to Williams for the Grand Canyon RR. That train is for the destination. If you are going to see the Grand Canyon, this is a fun way to get there but not much of anything to see off the train. That is why they stage gun holdups etc. Jerome is a fun place to visit - a ghost town turned artist community. Quite a road to get there. We stayed in Prescott this year and found it took quite a long time to get to Jerome. If you are going to Prescott - highly recommend the Hotel Vendome. 21 room Bed and Breakfast type hotel - nice continental breakfast and very nice owners. You feel like a guest, not a customer.

Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad

My husband and I just took the Verde Canyon Railroad last Thursday. It was beautiful!! I would highly recommend it. Bring your camera - there are tons of photo opportunities. We stayed in a charming B&B in Sedona called Boots and Saddles -our stay there was perfect (I just posted a review). We didn't look into lodging in Clarksdale or Jerome so I can't help you there. We did spend an afternoon in Jerome and it was fun. Lots of little shops, some unique some not. We ate at the Haunted Hamburger - great burgers and adds to the overall Jerome experience.

We haven't taken the Grand Canyon Railroad - we were considering it but didn't have a whole day to spend. You can do the Verde Canyon train and still have time to do something else because it's only 4 hours long. Also, I heard that the train ride to GC is kinda boring. Just desert until you reach the canyon.

Simi Valley
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Verde Canyon Railroad

Do the Grand Canyon. Verde Canyon doesn't have the type of scenery that Grand Canyon offers. If you choose taking Verge Canyon, stay in Jerome because it's a cute town in the mountain, nothing much in Clarkesdale. However, staying in Sedona would be my preference; nothing like the red rocks!

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor