We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Events/Acitivities in August

UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Events/Acitivities in August

Hi Everyone!

I am in the middle of organising an R.V trip across america and will be travelling through in August at some point. I am looking for particular events/activities/must see things for each state so i can finalise the route i am going to take and wondered if anyone could shed some light on some things that i should be doing in Arkansas!

For example- we are going on a steamboat on the mississippi, going line dancing in nashville, a rodeo in Texas and so on.

If you have any tips as to things i should be looking at or doing in Arkansas please let me know!!

We will be with a group of 6 25-28 year old Australians (we are not relaly looking to go partying across the states but to see and do the things that the residents actually do!)

Thanks in advance...

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Events/Acitivities in August

if you're interested in canoeing, you could float the Buffalo river in northern Arkansas. www.nps.gov/buff

for hiking, there are several that I really like. 1) Mt. Nebo has the best views. several trails here. arkansasstateparks.com/mountnebo 2) Mt Magazine - mountmagazinestatepark.com 3) Petit Jean has a few different trails with one that ends at Cedar Falls. petitjeanstatepark.com 4) whitaker point has a nice view as well.

Blanchard Springs caverns has 2 scenic tours as well as a wild cave tour.

Hot Springs is a popular town. one of the things there is Garvan Woodland Gardens. garvangardens.com

Recently built spanning the Arkansas River and connects Little Rock and North Little Rock is the longest pedestrian bridge. bigdambridge.com

Just in case you decide to do a second cruise, here is the site for our river boat: arkansasqueen.com

The travel web-site for our state is arkansas.com You can go there and do a search for arkansas.com/things-to-do and arkansas.com/calendar for events in August. One of the things I noticed was the 23rd Annual National Championship Chuckwagon races are on 8/23 to 8/31. There are many outdoor concerts/jams in city parks and squares. Bluegrass Festival in Harrison and Watermelon Festival in Cave City. There are a few kayak tours as well.

Hot Springs, Eureka Springs and Little Rock are very popular tourist stops in the state.

If you think of any other activities, interests, etc.. just post back.

Happy planning!

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Events/Acitivities in August

I just wanted to let you know how hot, and humid Arkansas is in August....

Just make sure to keep that in mind ....

The buffalo rive would be great in august as far as the temps are cooler, in the ozarks, and boston mountains,..So it would be a good idea, and seeing a cave would be cool as well............

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Events/Acitivities in August

Fordorama is quite correct. thought about mentioning that, but got side-tracked. Temps last year in August stayed in the 100's for almost 3 full weeks with high humidity. staying in the northern part of the state up in the mountains could be cooler. the hikes around Mt. Nebo and Boston Mtns are at higher altitude and can be cooler temp's by a good 10-15 degrees than Petit Jean (which is more centrally located in Arkansas) would be.

4. Re: Events/Acitivities in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 08:17