We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How good is Buffalo National Park

TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How good is Buffalo National Park

We are driving from Dallas and planning to camp at Buffalo Park. Actually I looked at Petit park, because of un-availability we chose this park.

Is this a good park to camp? Can we get good spot to camp near the river, if yes any reservation needed?

Is BBQ grill available? Any good trial for hiking nearby?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

If you are referring to Buffalo Point campgrounds, this is an excellent place to camp, float, swim and hike. The website gives you most of the information you will need.

www.nps.gov/buff/

TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

Thanks for your reply.

The website says the camping site is first come first serve? To get a good spot at what time we should be there on saturday to camp on that day night?

Or is it really necessary to reserve a spot?

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

I have been to Buffalo Point dozens of times but actually have only put in my canoe there for river trips and camped down the river below Rush or taken out at Rush, so I probably shouldn't be trying to answer your questions. I have hiked to the large Indian Cave at Buffalo Point which I recommend and swam in the great swimming hole and really like the location. I have seen huge numbers of campers there on any given summer weekend, I would strongly recommend reserving a campsite on such a prime summer weekend and if it were me, I would be there at the 8:30 opening time if I wanted to be close to the river. People camp there for days at a time, so a riverside spot could be elusive even with an early arrival. However, the rangers are pretty nice on the phone and should be willing to give you honest answers to your questions. I'd call the number on the website during office hours.

TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

Thanks again for the reply. Its really useful. I just reserved for a spot in river side.

This is really our first time to camp. We are 4 students. We would reach there by 10am on saturday. Could you please tell me what can be done really interesting before sunday noon? We have no idea what to do in there like hiking or fishing or boating if any or BBQ or all? Please recommend us some thing given the period of time.

I would really appreciate your reply!

Thanks

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

There are some very nice trails at Buffalo Point but the star of the show is the Buffalo River. Fantastic bluffs along the river, clear water, nice gravel bars, fish and wildlife can all be found. The river will be crowded but there is nothing more fun than a VERY easy half day canoe trip from Buffalo Point to Rush. The outfitters like Wild Bill's www.ozark-float.com will rent canoes and paddles and pick you up at Rush, an old ghost town, a few hours later. You can take lunch and eat on a gravel bar and swim and have a great time in the river. It is such an easy run that you can float the stretch without really knowing much about paddling.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

You can easily take up the rest of the day Saturday with floating. Stopping to eat while floating, swimming and fishing.

Some of the hikes in the area can be found here: www.hikearkansas.com/nwtrails.htm I really recommend doing the hike to Hawksbill Crag. It is a picture perfect hike, and is shown on our state's tourism promotions on tv. harrisonarkansas.org/hikingtrails_hawksbillc… You could stop there on your way out on Sunday. Or, you could check out the elk. www.arkansaselkcenter.com - Hilary Jones Wildlife Museum and Elk Info Center. www.ozarkmountains.org/elkhikes.htm

If anyone's interested in caves, you could stop at Blanchard Springs Caverns instead: fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/caverns.html

7. Re: How good is Buffalo National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 06:23