We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

Me and my husband are staying in Memphis @ Heartbreak Hotel and wanted to do a day trip to Arkansas. We have a car but the place is so big we are not really sure what part will be closest/easiest to get to, and most interesting. We are not really that into history, but we do like sight seeing, walking, wildlife etc. Any ideas much appreciated.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

Honestly, the part of Arkansas than is near Memphis is mostly farmland. A drive to Little Rock from Memphis will be about 2 hours each way.

There is lots of history in Little Rock. Perhaps a trip to the Clinton Presidential Library or Heifer International's Headquarters would be worth your time.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

One thing I highly suggest is a trip to Blanchard Springs Caverns in Mountain View. It is one of the top 3 ranked caves in the U.S. fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/caverns.html You could also walk around Mountain View and check out the shops there. I know you mentioned that you're not into history, but I'll mention the Ozark Folk Center since it's nearby. www.ozarkfolkcenter.com

Another idea would be to go canoeing or kayaking on the Buffalo National River. www.buffaloriver.com

There is a nice hike to Hawksbill Crag (aka Whitaker Point). I've done this one. It's an easy hike and has an amazing view from the Crag of a wooded valley below. harrisonarkansas.org/hikingtrails_hawksbillc… You could also check out Cliff House Restaurant and a view of the Arkansas Grand Canyon from the restaurant. www.mcrush.com/cliffhouse

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

Found a better link for the Buff. www.buffalonationalriver.com or www.nps.gov/buff

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

I see Cliff House changed their web-site. New one is http://cliffhouseinn.ar

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

Correction on that last one. http://cliffhouseinnar.com

6. Re: Memphis to Arkansas - Best place to visit for a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:25