We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vaca?-pls tell me where in AK

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
269 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Family vaca?-pls tell me where in AK

My husband and I are in that "just need to get away" frame of mind and are planning a road trip for about 5 nights the week after Christmas. We'll be traveling with our 4 kids, ages 6-14 and are looking for an outdoor getaway/cabin. AR is driveable from our home in Louisiana and I'm hoping for some ideas about where we should settle. We like an outdoors trip-hiking, biking, exploring-the kids just love to be outside and we are crazy for the moutains. Are there any state parks or the like? I seem to recall someone telling me about a great trip there a while back but I can't recall the details.

My fantasy for lodging would be cabin with a fireplace and room for us to spread out. Somewhere with a large deck or woods for exploring so we don't have to get in the car everyday to entertain the kids.

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vaca?-pls tell me where in AK

Mt. Magazine State Park, Mt. Nebo, Queen Wilimena (sp?), Several places on Lake Ouachita, Lake DeGray, Eureka Springs(cabins near town), several cabins along the Buffalo River,. I would start by googling Arkansas State Parks.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vaca?-pls tell me where in AK

My first suggestion would be for Mount Magazine. They are very nice cabins with the big deck (including hot tub) you mentioned. They have great views, open spaces, several hiking trails, a visitor center with lots of exhibits and a film, and they rent bikes. There is a restaurant at the lodge. Great buffet breakfasts (chocolate gravy, mm mm good). Mount Nebo has cabins as well, great hiking/bike trails, bicycle rentals at the visitor center, awesome views. The only thing I'd be hesitant about Mount Nebo is in case the weather gets bad. The road has many switchbacks which would be really difficult to meaneuver in icy conditions. No restaurant and no places nearby to eat. Definitely, remember to bring all your own food. I haven't actually been to Queen Wilhelmina yet, but have heard great things about it from friends. However, I didn't see from there web-site that they had any bikes available to rent. You might want to consider Petit Jean State Park as well. I haven't checked about whether they have bikes or not. They do have cabins and several trails. Not really the mountain views of the first three, but there is a great waterfall to hike to - Cedar Falls. There is a restaurant at the lodge.

www.mountmagazinestatepark.com

www.queenwilhelmina.com

www.arkansasstateparks.com/mountnebo

www.petitjeanstatepark.com

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vaca?-pls tell me where in AK

Many thanks to both of you-I will do some research into these. They look very promising.

4. Re: Family vaca?-pls tell me where in AK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:20