We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 things for Kids 6,7,8 and grandma also

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
381 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Top 5 things for Kids 6,7,8 and grandma also

Will be traveling on a road trip with Kids, parents and grandma. What are the top 5 must do's. Resturant ideas and places to stay welcome. We are just starting the planning

deep south
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 things for Kids 6,7,8 and grandma also

Since I don't know your proposed route, I'm going to assume that you will cross the Arkansas/Texas line on I-30 at Texarkana. If it fits your schedule, you might want to overnight in Arkadelphia at Captain Henderson House B&B. It's a lovely, restored historic home, great breakfast, rooms about $90/night. Lake DeGray at Arkadelphia offers cabins, boat rental, a state park lodge.

From Arkadelphia, take Hwy 7 to Hot Springs, which is an old resort town with lots of things for all ages. There is an amusement park, Magic Springs, which is not so big and hectic as some, but which is fun for all. Hot Springs offers all kinds of things, so check their web site. There are lots of affordable motels, as well as the historic Arlington Hotel.

From Hot Springs, you could choose to go north west up into the Ozarks, perhaps to Mountain View and the Folk Center. Mountain View is very family-friendly and laid back. You could then go on north to Branson, Mo. with its huge selection of shows, shopping, etc.

From Hot Springs, you could also head north west on I-30 and go to Little Rock. There are a number of museums as well as the President Clinton library, which is located on the Arkansas River and is in the newly-developed River Walk area with lots of restaurants.

From Little Rock, it is then about 3-4 hours to Memphis, TN with its selection.

Note: The number of lakes, camp grounds and outdoor activities in Arkansas are too numerous to list. There are LOTS.

Hint: A lot of the counties outside of the Little Rock and Hot Springs areas are "dry" (no alcohol sales), so if you want a drink, it's BYOB.

I hope this helps.

2. Re: Top 5 things for Kids 6,7,8 and grandma also

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2010, 05:17